Bathroom wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our bathroom the mirror lights and extractor fan are connected to the main light switch hence they only come on when the main light is activated. This makes having a bath at night either dark and quiet (no lights or fan) or bright and noisy (all lights and fan).

I am unable to access the roof space to re-wire the lights and separate the mirror and fan from the main light so I propose to run a fused spur from a plug on the landing outside the bathroom. The fused spur would run from the plug under the bathroom floor and up the wall to the fan and mirror. The fan has an integral pull cord switch so I wasn't going to provide an isolator switch and instead remove the fuse when I need to clean the fan. Is this arrangement okay or have I missed something.

We are retiling the bathroom so channeling in the wall will not be a problem.

Cheers

Antony

Sponsored Links
Regulations require that adequate isolation is provided close to the fixed equipment. Pulling the main fuse does not fulfull this regulation, so no, its not ok.

So I need to place an isolator switch in the bathroom next to the fan. I guess this needs to be high up and out of reach of people in the bathroom or does it need to be a pull switch? Otherwise using a fused spur from outside the bathroom is okay?

Antony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back