Bathroom spur plan - okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2.5mm2 cable going from upstairs ring into loft via bathroom. Historically it runs a double socket directly off of it and an extractor off of that.

I plan to use this as sole fused spur for bathroom, so
ring to fused spur outlet
outlet to double socket
then I want to run new extractor and mirror lighting off of this spur
Is it correct to put in another outlet in bathroom connected to sockets in loft (or fused outlet in loft), then run both the extractor and lighting off of that? Be nice not to have ugly outlet in bathroom if that's okay.

outlet if required in zone 3
mirror in zone 3
mains fan in zone 2 of correct IPX4 or above b4 anyone asks

thanks

Sponsored Links
Really you should be down fusing for ex-fan and mirror light, you will also require to route cables in permitted safe zones and have additional RCD protection, if not already existing on the circuit.
Any appliance newly installed within the zones of a bathroom, will require notification to building controls.
It has been some years now since the existence of zone 3 within bathrooms, you will need to brush up on the regs!

Oh yes by zone 3 I meant outside the zones, my bad.
Very recent RCD consumer unit for whole house, is that sufficient?

We need a better description of the existing circuit - does the spur come from an FCU, or is it unfused? If an FCU, where is it?

Confirm it's currently supplying a double socket and an extractor?

And you want it to supply a double socket, and an extractor, and a mirror light?

Sponsored Links
Existing circuit is a 2.5mm spur off the upstairs ring, unfused, just to double socket in loft.
I want to use this with fused outlet obviously before the double socket, but downstream of that, not sure what's best.
I don't think I've added any more info there, but don't know what else to add to make it clearer.

I have a 2.5mm2 cable going from upstairs ring into loft via bathroom. Historically it runs a double socket directly off of it and an extractor off of that.

Do you mean via a bedroom? As for spurring off the ring, would make sense to make the first connection to be a 13A FCU so you can supply whatever with it then.

Direct to CU nothing on it and cable is safe zones. Not that I plan to reinstate an electric shower. More concerned on best method to connect fan and mirror lights. Seems like lighting circuit way to go. Previously fan was on the loft socket spur and a mirror light on a separate FCU. Since bathroom complete remodel, I now have choice. Anyway, I think I have all the info I need now. Thanks for the inputs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back