Wiring up a steam shower

They may be suggesting that people shouldn't really have 13A sockets in their bathroom! ;)
Perhaps they should say so then. In my case I dropped the plug under the floorboards and brought it up in an adjacent room to plug in.

At the end of the day these steam rooms are not suitable to be sold here. I seem to recall they were also rated at 220 volts.

Sponsored Links
As I said no such thing as a part P qualification. The ones I installed did not say anything about the 13a plug being for testing purposes only. Are they suggesting that their 13a plug is not suitable for 13a (or less)?
As I have said, before, that sort of pedantry doesn't move along a topic at all.

However, I will leave the responsibility for guiding the OP on this subject to you, as you seem to know everything.

Sponsored Links

The shower is fully enclosed and sealed - floor, 4 walls and ceiling. The only possible splash zone is in front of the doors. It is, in effect, a separate shower sized room within the bathroom.
It's not really about sealing and splash nones but, rather, the 'Zones' created by a shower, and what the regulations have to say about electrical work within them
You are correct. It is connected via screw terminals. When you build the shower unit it is fully built and sealed in the centre of the room and then everything connected via flexible hose/pipe/wire and then pushed into place. The shower is not fixed to any wall, floor or ceiling. The terminals will be accessible, without any dismantling, by simply sliding the shower out from the corner.
I really don't know what to say, since this is a totally new one on me. Baths and showers are usually 'fixed, so also are the 'Zones' that they create. I've never come across, or heard of, a situation in which there was a 'moveable' shower, hence 'moveable Zones'. The law says that any electrical work (and that includes connecting any wire to terminals within 600 mm of a shower (i.e. 'within Zones') is notifiable work, but we seem to have a situation in which those Zones may be in a different place when the electrical connections are made from where they will be 'during normal service' of the shower! I'll be interested to hear what others think.

My guess is that a Building Control Officer might well take the ('intuitive') view that anything to do with electrical connections to a shower in a bathroom is notifiable, but that's just a sheer guess - and as I and others have said, if it is notifiable then it's unlikley to be cost-effective to DIY this job ('electrically small' though it is), since the notification fees for someone who is mot a 'registered' electrician (a member of a 'self-certification/notification' Scheme) can be £££.

Kind Regards, John

Nobody has mentioned an RCD. The circuit supplying the shower must be protected by a 30mA RCD.
All the showers I have looked at have an RCD attached.
That, in itself, is not particularly relevant. For better or worse, the regulations require that all circuits (i.e. wiring) servicing a bathroom (or even just 'passing through' a bathroom) must be RCD protection (i.e. upstream protection, usually at the Consumer Unit), regardless of whether equipment connected to that wiring has additional RCD protection of its own.

Kind Regards, John

That, in itself, is not particularly relevant. For better or worse, the regulations require that all circuits (i.e. wiring) servicing a bathroom (or even just 'passing through' a bathroom) must be RCD protection (i.e. upstream protection, usually at the Consumer Unit), regardless of whether equipment connected to that wiring has additional RCD protection of its own.

Kind Regards, John
True, but we do not know if the OP's CU has RCD-protection on the circuit in question. Looking at some of the MIs for other products, some come with their own RCD. Som are 10mA, some say to chop their RCD off if the CU has adequate protection.

I'm with you on the nagging feeling that this really is electrical work within a special location. Much the same as fitting a power shower inside an existing shower cubicle.

I'm with you on the nagging feeling that this really is electrical work within a special location
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if it would still be classed as a special location, if a self-contained unit like this, was installed as an ease of living modification to someone's bedroom?

True, but we do not know if the OP's CU has RCD-protection on the circuit in question.
Exactly - I was merely reinforcing your point that the circuit needs to be RCD protected even if the shower itself has built-in RCD protection.
I'm with you on the nagging feeling that this really is electrical work within a special location.
As I said, it's such an unusual (unique for me!) situation that I just don't know how 'officialdom' would regard it, given the 'moveable Zones' (hence moveable 'special location')! As I implied, it seems that it would probably be possible to make the electrical connections at a point that was, at the time, more than 600 mm from the shower (hence 'outside zones', hence not notifiable) and then ''push the shower back' to a position close to those connections, such that the connections were then within Zone 2!

Kind Regards, John

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if it would still be classed as a special location, if a self-contained unit like this, was installed as an ease of living modification to someone's bedroom?
I think you'll find that the definition of 'special location' (i.e. the 'Zones' created by baths and showers) are written in terms of "rooms containing a bath or shower", regardless of whether the owner regards it as a bathroom, bedroom, kitchen or anything else - which I suppose makes sense!!

Kind Regards, John

A point at the back of a three-sided cubicle with door at the front would not be in a zone.

At the side might be depending on which way the door opened.

A point at the back of a three-sided cubicle with door at the front would not be in a zone. At the side might be depending on which way the door opened.
All true - but, as I've said, this is (at least for me) a totally unique/unprecedented situation, with its potentially moveable Zones.

As I said before, given the uncertainties that produces, it wouldn't surprise me if a BCO took the view that it was notifiable work, on the basis that he/she theoretically could not know for sure exactly where the showier cubicle would be, and what would be its orientation, "tomorrow".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back