Wiring up a steam shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a steam shower in my bathroom and its power rating is 3KW @ 220-240v.
There is an existing flex outlet that is currently outside Zones 0,1 and 2. The flex outlet has a switch outside of the bathroom that switches both the live and neutral.
When installed the flex outlet will be out of sight behind the shower. The shower is fully enclosed so there are no surrounding splash zones.
The source of the flex outlet is the upstairs ring main and it is a spur off that main. The spur does not have a fuse, it goes directly from the ring to the switch and from the switch to the flex outlet.

What I would like to know is:
1. Is it legal for me to connect the shower to the flex outlet?
2. Should I install a fuse on the spur and if so should it be:
a) Before the switch
b) After the switch.
or
c) Swap the flex outlet for a fused flex outlet.
3. Having traced all the wiring it would be difficult but not possible to disconnect the spur from the ring and run it directly to the consumer unit. This is not something I would feel comfortable doing myself and so would have to employ a qualified electrician to do. Should I do this instead

Sponsored Links
1. I don't think there are any such laws.
2. Yes and it should be
d) A switched FCU in replacement for the switch outside the bathroom.
3. That would be notifiable as a new circuit and be expensive.

I'm installing a steam shower in my bathroom and its power rating is 3KW @ 220-240v. .... There is an existing flex outlet that is currently outside Zones 0,1 and 2.
1. Is it legal for me to connect the shower to the flex outlet?
In England in Wales (I know nothing of Scotland, which is different) the law allows anyone to do any domestic electrical work, provided only that they do so competently/safely and that they comply with the law's requirement for 'notification'' of (some) electrical works to the Local Authority, where appropriate (far more things are notifiable in Wales than in England).

However, I wonder where the shower would be located (I'm not familiar with 'steam showers', only ordinary ones which are almost invariably in Zone 1)? The point is that if it is in any of the Zones (0, 1 or 2), that would make connecting the cable to it 'notifiable work', even in England - in which case it would almost certainly not be cost-effective to DIY the job.
When installed the flex outlet will be out of sight behind the shower.
This might be a problem. Do I take it that you're talking about a 'flex outlet' in which the outgoing flex is connected to the supply cable by means of 'screw terminals'? If so, the regulations do not allow 'screwed joints'' in locations which are 'inaccessible' ('for inspection and testing') and it sounds as if that might be the case if it is going to be "behind the shower". Can you clarify?
2. Should I install a fuse on the spur and if so should it be:
Yes, you must - and, as had been said, you should do that by changing the 'switch outside of the bathroom' to a switched FCU.

Kind Regards, John

Nobody has mentioned an RCD. The circuit supplying the shower must be protected by a 30mA RCD.

I too am not familiar with the type of product you are thinking about. Is it a whole cabin like this?

Or an add on unit to an existing showers enclosure? Please give more info, a product link would help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In England in Wales (I know nothing of Scotland, which is different) the law allows anyone to do any domestic electrical work, provided only that they do so competently/safely and that they comply with the law's requirement for 'notification'' of (some) electrical works to the Local Authority, where appropriate (far more things are notifiable in Wales than in England).
Its England
However, I wonder where the shower would be located (I'm not familiar with 'steam showers', only ordinary ones which are almost invariably in Zone 1)? The point is that if it is in any of the Zones (0, 1 or 2), that would make connecting the cable to it 'notifiable work', even in England - in which case it would almost certainly not be cost-effective to DIY the job.
The shower is fully enclosed and sealed - floor, 4 walls and ceiling. The only possible splash zone is in front of the doors. It is, in effect, a separate shower sized room within the bathroom.
This might be a problem. Do I take it that you're talking about a 'flex outlet' in which the outgoing flex is connected to the supply cable by means of 'screw terminals'? If so, the regulations do not allow 'screwed joints'' in locations which are 'inaccessible' ('for inspection and testing') and it sounds as if that might be the case if it is going to be "behind the shower". Can you clarify?
You are correct. It is connected via screw terminals. When you build the shower unit it is fully built and sealed in the centre of the room and then everything connected via flexible hose/pipe/wire and then pushed into place. The shower is not fixed to any wall, floor or ceiling. The terminals will be accessible, without any dismantling, by simply sliding the shower out from the corner.
Yes, you must - and, as had been said, you should do that by changing the 'switch outside of the bathroom' to a switched FCU.

Kind Regards, John
Will do.

Cheers,
Terry

Nobody has mentioned an RCD. The circuit supplying the shower must be protected by a 30mA RCD.
All the showers I have looked at have an RCD attached.
I too am not familiar with the type of product you are thinking about. Is it a whole cabin like this?

Or an add on unit to an existing showers enclosure? Please give more info, a product link would help.
That is the type of shower I will be getting. I have yet to decide the make/model but they all appear to be similarly constructed and installed. There only appear to be 3 manufacturers in the UK - Vidalux, Lisna Waters and Insignia.

therefore, in my opinion this is notifiable work.
The cheapest/easiest route is for the electrical work to be carried out by a registered electrician who can self notify and certify this work.

therefore, in my opinion this is notifiable work.
The cheapest/easiest route is for the electrical work to be carried out by a registered electrician who can self notify and certify this work.
Apart from the main power connection which is usually a 13amp plug all the electrical work is ELV.

Apart from the main power connection which is usually a 13amp plug all the electrical work is ELV.
Obviously you seem to have much more experience in these specific areas. But the installation guide from this maker seems to take a different view to yours.
A11A30FB-73E8-481A-AE29-552EE0A68087.jpeg

I wouldn't trust the installation guide from a seller (not maker) who does not even know part P is one sentence in the building regs not a qualification.

Obviously you seem to have much more experience in these specific areas.
I have installed two, both in my prievous house. They come with a big box which contain the steam generator and a big switch mode power supply. It has a heavy lead with an inline 10mA RCD and ends in a 13 amp plug. There are various other weady connectors on the box supplying no more than 24 volts to all the pretty lights, fan, ozone generator, control panel etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back