Flex outlet in bathroom zone 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping for some advice with installing a towel rail in my bathroom please.

We have an enclosed shower and plan to install a heated towel rail just outside the shower door. The door pivots at the wall and the towel heater would be positioned behind the shower door when it is open.

I have a very large (and random) void behind the bathroom wall, accessible via a hatch in our garage, so I can easily get access behind that wall, and the upstairs socket ring has a cable passing through this void, so I was planning on spurring from that cable.

So the towel heater cable into a flex outlet, about 30cm from the shower door, a fused switch in the void behind, then being spurred onto the existing ring.

I'll use some sealant around the top and sides of the outlet, leaving the bottom to let any water ingress back out.

I've seen conflicting info on some electrician forums about whether the flex outlet needs to be ipx4. Some saying that they've done it this way many times, others saying its a no-go if not ipx4. Anyone with some knowledge about to clarify please?

Sponsored Links
... I'll use some sealant around the top and sides of the outlet, leaving the bottom to let any water ingress back out. ... I've seen conflicting info on some electrician forums about whether the flex outlet needs to be ipx4. Some saying that they've done it this way many times, others saying its a no-go if not ipx4.
What makes you think that, if you install it as you have described, it will not be at least IPX4?

Kind Regards, John

What makes you think that, if you install it as you have described, it will not be at least IPX4?
Nothing really. Having now actually looked at the definition I see what you mean.

Suggest you don’t have the actual connection (ie flex outlet plate) there at all.
Drill through the wall and fit a CABLE WALL GROMMET
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXCBW.html
Feed the cable through the wall and connect on the other side.
Thanks for suggestion. Sounds like a tidy solution.

Sponsored Links
Nothing really. Having now actually looked at the definition I see what you mean.
Indeed. The reason I asked was that some people seem to think that something only qualifies as IPXY if the product is 'marked' as such, or indicated as such in associated documentation.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back