Towel rail outside Zone 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Read a few threads on this subject but not really found the definitive answer: can a fused flex outlet for an electric towel rail be fitted in a bathroom/shower room?

Previously there was a standard night-storage heater in the bathroom. That has been removed, but now they want an electric towel rail in it's place.

These towel rails are obviously intended for shower rooms etc. but there's not always an opportunity to put an FCU on the other side of the wall, which might otherwise seem like an obvious solution.

Did consider using an IP-rated sw/fuse, but that's not going to look the part ... yes, aesthetics are important!

Sponsored Links
Read a few threads on this subject but not really found the definitive answer
There isn't really one.

can a fused flex outlet for an electric towel rail be fitted in a bathroom/shower room?
Beyond Zone 2 there are no specific restrictions on them - but they do have to be suitable for the environment. Main question is will it get splashed? I've had a regular MK FCU with flex outlet on my bathroom wall just outside Zone 2 for over 10 years, and never had any problems. But it doesn't get splashed.

That has been removed, but now they want an electric towel rail in it's place.
Who are "they"? What's your relationship with them?

Did consider using an IP-rated sw/fuse, but that's not going to look the part ... yes, aesthetics are important!
Best you'll do, probably, is flush mounted MK Masterseal or Legrand Plexo.

Who are "they"? What's your relationship with them?
They: Client and agent
Me: Spark

Storage heaters were removed before I came in. Hadn't even realised that there was an FSU in the bathroom (about 1m from shower cubicle)
Now she wants a towel rail (electric).

flush mounted MK Masterseal or Legrand Plexo.
Thanks for that. Looks like the best option.

Sponsored Links
Am I really the first electrician to ever find himself asked to install a type of appliance for the first time?
An electrical appliance in a bathroom, within several feet of a shower. Likely to be used by unknown persons, of unknown 'common sense'.
Is this a subject that no other electrician would just stop and think: "Hang on! think I'll ask for a second opinion" (?)

And looking around for a 'second opinion' just seems to show up more different opinions ... even on (dare I say) non-'DIY' forums.

Of course I know fully well that outside Zone 2, the 'Zone 0,1 & 2' rules don't apply. But then, you can't put a socket within 3m !!! ... so there are still rules.

You may describe it as a 'DIY forum', but I find there are many knowledgeable and informed individuals on here (even you Mr Shed) often with quite different opinions.

Read a few threads on this subject but not really found the definitive answer
There isn't really one.

What the hell is wrong with asking ?

Am I really the first electrician to ever find himself asked to install a type of appliance for the first time?
No.

Nor, sadly, are you the first so called "electrician" who has an insufficient knowledge of the regulations.

An electrical appliance in a bathroom, within several feet of a shower. Likely to be used by unknown persons, of unknown 'common sense'.
It's a towel rail. Where do you think they are usually installed?

Is this a subject that no other electrician would just stop and think: "Hang on! think I'll ask for a second opinion" (?)
No "opinion" is necessary - the Regulations tell you what you may/may not/must/should do.

And looking around for a 'second opinion' just seems to show up more different opinions ... even on (dare I say) non-'DIY' forums.
As I said, you are not the first so called "electrician" who has an insufficient knowledge of the regulations.

Of course I know fully well that outside Zone 2, the 'Zone 0,1 & 2' rules don't apply. But then, you can't put a socket within 3m !!! ... so there are still rules.
And a proper electrician would know what the rules were, or at the very least how and where to find them.

What the hell is wrong with asking ?
Nothing. For someone not taking money from people for his electrical expertise.

Here is my towel rail. It's not that easy to see, but it is sandwiched between a shower cubicle and a wall-mounted lighted cabinet.
The flex exits through the flex outlet without break and connects to the supply on the other side of the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back