FCU in Bathroom for Washing Machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Renovating our bathroom from the timbers up, and it's electrical time. The house (a bungalow) consumer unit is about to be replaced with a modern unit and full suite of RCBOs. The bathroom wiring has the usual lighting circuit, but above the old mirror there used to be a 1 bar electric heater, complete with 13A ring mains backbox with a screw choc block connector.

We'd like to have a lit mirror and the washing machine (continental style) in the bathroom. Both items are outside of all zones. My thought process is...

* Pull 13A ring mains choc block box of fun up to the loft, and replace it with a standard 13A dual gang socket in the loft.

* From the new socket, drop a spur down to the mirror with a 3A FCU & flex outlet above or behind the mirror.

* Drop a second spur to the other side of the room with an appropriately fused FCU & flex outlet for the washing machine. This unit will be around 50cm above floor level and behind the machine.

Do the FCUs need to be of the switched variety or not?

Do I need to consider isolation switches and whatnot? If so, is fitting it in the loft acceptable?

The consumer unit is readily accessible for maintenance and isolation in the utility room nearby.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
complete with 13A ring mains backbox with a screw choc block connector.
Most ring circuits are 32A.

We'd like to have a lit mirror and the washing machine (continental style) in the bathroom. Both items are outside of all zones.
Ok.

My thought process is...* Pull 13A ring mains choc block box of fun up to the loft, and replace it with a standard 13A dual gang socket in the loft.
If you mean both cables of the ring circuit are there, then ok.

* From the new socket, drop a spur down to the mirror with a 3A FCU above or behind the mirror.
Ok.

* Drop a second spur to the other side of the room with an appropriately fused FCU for the washing machine. This FCU will be around 50cm above floor level and behind the machine.
Ok.

Do I need to consider isolation switches and whatnot?
Only if you want them.

If so, is fitting it in the loft acceptable?
Yes.

Concealed cables must be fitted vertically to the FCUs.

Yes, sorry, 32A ring main. Was thinking of 13A plugs when I typed it out.

Yep, both cables of the 32A ring main.

Good to know about the isolation switches. I have no strong desire for them!

Thank you for the info!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back