Bathroom zone 2 (above a shower cubicle)

Sponsored Links
Isn't it strange how these things come about?

Very simple diagrams in the regulations to copy and yet they make up something completely different.

Isn't it strange how these things come about? Very simple diagrams in the regulations to copy and yet they make up something completely different.
Indeed - particularly since they've clearly gone to appreciable trouble to physically create those (incorrect) diagrams.

Even if there were a zone associated with sinks (has there ever been?), why on earth would anyone think it would be semi-circular? Do they really believe that it is somehow 'safer' at the edges (near the taps) than in the middle?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can remember being told and seeing diagrams at college that showed a zone 2 around the sink in a semi circular shape. Was it in the 16th ed? I don't have a regs book to hand.

I can remember being told and seeing diagrams at college that showed a zone 2 around the sink in a semi circular shape. Was it in the 16th ed? I don't have a regs book to hand.
Thanks. A zone around the basin would, in itself, clearly not be at all unreasonable (maybe many of us would really 'expect' it) - but, as I said, a semi-circular one as shown in those diagrams (with diameter equal to the width of the basin) seems bizarre. I wonder if the one you recall perhaps had a base to the semi-circle which was appreciably wider than the basin (i.e. extending appreciably to the sizes of the basin)?

The regs on TLC's website are 16th ed, aren'tr they? I'll have a look!

Kind Regards, John

If you go on google and search for "bathroom zones", then click images, roughly 90% of them show a zone 2 around the sink, and roughly half of them show that 75cm zone 2 above above a shower zone 1.

If you go on google and search for "bathroom zones", then click images, roughly 90% of them show a zone 2 around the sink ....
So they do! ... but many/most of the zones around basins/sinks are shown extending 600mm in all directions from the sink/basin (including to the sides), which makes a lot more sense than the ones like we are discussing here (zone only as wide as sink/basin, and semicircular). There are so many of them that I can but assume that such is what the regs once said - whether in 16th ed. or earlier.

Kind Regards, John

If you go on google and search for "bathroom zones", then click images, roughly 90% of them show a zone 2 around the sink ....
So they do! ... but many/most of the zones around basins/sinks are shown extending 600mm in all directions from the sink/basin (including to the sides), which makes a lot more sense than the ones like we are discussing here (zone only as wide as sink/basin, and semicircular). There are so many of them that I can but assume that such is what the regs once said - whether in 16th ed. or earlier.

Kind Regards, John

Even the latest Wickes catalogue has got a zone 2 around the bathroom sink/basin on page 518 :LOL:

2.25 from floor is outside the zone . Anything below that is in.
That's a given, but the discussion is now, where has the basin zone originated from, as it's not a real zone.

Although it does appear you're the first person to actually answer the question, in post 14!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back