Bathrooms, Building Regs & Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, hope you can help me with this:

I am currently part way though a major renovation/extension of my home and am in the final fitting phase for my bathroom.

Building control are aware of the project - groundwork started in July 2004 and they have been visiting regularly since then.

I have been doing the electrical work myself and was under the impression that as approval was granted before Part P came into effect, that it did not apply.

I have wired in underfloor heating (fused RCD spur), whirlpool bath (fused RCD Spur), Shower pump & lighting. All wiring has been done in an adjacent utility room with only the manufacturers fitted cable for each device running into the bathroom.

The question is this:

I have recently become aware that part P applies to work finished after April 2005, and hence applies to the work that I have done. Can building control test and approve the work already carried out or will I need to get a spark to check it over?

How much is either option likely to cost (assuming for now that no remedial work is necessary)?

Sponsored Links
The April 05 cut off was for work that was purely electrical in nature, i.e. which before Jan 05 had not been subject to Building Regulations at all.

For work that was already controlled by the regulations, new regs cannot be retroactively imposed on projects already started or approved - this flowchart (which is somewhere on the ODPM Building Regs pages) shows this:

PartPtransitional.jpg

So you're in the clear.

However - you should still get the work checked, and if you are in any doubts that remedial work might be necessary then maybe you shouldn't have done it in the first place....

Thanks for the reply, it seems my original thoughts were correct.

All work is fully compliant with the current IEE guidelines and I am confident that no remedial work will be necessary.

The advice to get it checked out by a pro is sensible and as its a bathroom I will probably have it checked by a mate (who is a spark) anyway, although as he's employed by a big organization and would be doing it on the QT he would not be able to certify.

I am a fairly experienced electronic engineer (I have been a member of the IEEE for twenty years) and have been doing my own home wiring for about as long. The question was about building regulations, a topic I know a lot less about :)

Thanks again for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back