Bathroon extractor ducting - legal requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have searched previous posts and about building regs and bathroom extractors but not found anything specificially about the ducting and venting requirements.

Basically I have just had a loft conversion and the new bathroom extractor vents into the small void above (no ducting, no external vent). I have read on this forum about this being a no-no, and I understand the reasons why this is a bad idea, but is there anything in building regs that says extracting into a void is not compliant? My builder is saying to me that although it is not ideal, it is not illegal - is he right?

All advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Your builder is a numpty and is simply trying to BS you for whatever reason, he just needs to fit a soffit vent or tile vent.

Anyway the Regs are pretty clear, the definition of ‘Extract ventilation’ as used throughout Part F (the relevant Building Regulation document here) is defined as ‘the removal of air directly from a space or spaces to outside’. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_F_2010_V2.pdf page 10 (of the PDF)

Mention this to the Building Inspector if he has not signed it off yet, in fact mention it to him anyway even if he has signed it off, this is the kind of thing they should check.

Your builder is a numpty and is simply trying to BS you for whatever reason, he just needs to fit a soffit vent or tile vent.

Anyway the Regs are pretty clear, the definition of ‘Extract ventilation’ as used throughout Part F (the relevant Building Regulation document here) is defined as ‘the removal of air directly from a space or spaces to outside’. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_F_2010_V2.pdf page 10 (of the PDF)

Mention this to the Building Inspector if he has not signed it off yet, in fact mention it to him anyway even if he has signed it off, this is the kind of thing they should check.

Thank you for pointing that part out - I obviously missed it when I went through. I suspected it was BS and now I have the evidence. The building control guy did a 3 minute visual inspection and signed it off (he also snapped the key in the bathroon window lock!). Numpties all round!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back