Baths for the elderley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Are there any special baths or showers for the elderley. Easy to get into etc. None slip.

Thanx

Staylong

Sponsored Links
Yes you can get walk in baths with a door in the side. Ask your local supplier, its no good going to the sheds they most probably wont have a clue.

Or you can get all manner of lifts and handles for the old and infirm.

Easiest way is just stand them in back garden and hose them down once a week :D Only kidding there are several type from walk in and sit down with doors on them to special seats on a lift type thing to lower them in . have a look in the daily mail or mail on sunday they are advertised in there

Easiest and cheapest is to use a shower. Fit a large shower tray, fix a seat to the wall, with adequate support legs for when it's down. Fit handrails and shower (A preprogrammed one like Mira Advance saves frequent setting up) and other than the seat and handrails, its a standard shower.

Sponsored Links
Try www.wibtrac.co.uk . They offer a good range at very good prices. All their baths have a door in the side for easy entry so there is no need to step over the side of the bath to get in.

armitage nisa low line bath,twin grip antslip.

other than that you need to be looking at AKW products.

as for showers mira advance flex,redring selectronic(red ring has more care accreditations).

Bear in mind with the sit-in baths with a door:

1. No door can be considered truly waterproof ever. Remember those WW2 submarine films.

2. When the door jams, elderly person will be stuck inside.

3. You have to get inside, close door, then wait for bath to fill up.

4. You have to let the water out of the bath (can you reach the plug chain?) and sit there cold and wet while it drains before you can open the door and get out.

My mother does not recommend Premier Bathrooms, principally for reason 2. :evil:

Occupational therapists from your local authority may be able to assess individual needs and make recommendations tailored to those needs.

Sometimes a hoist / lift arrangement designed for use with an existing bath may be the most appropriate solution.

Sometimes a simple low seat that can be fitted in the bottom of an existing bath, and easily removed so the bath can be used by others may be sufficient.

Sometimes a level access shower (and waterproof wheelchair!) is necessary.
http://www.contour-showers.co.uk/?lang=en

Bear in mind 1. No door can be considered truly waterproof ever. Remember those WW2 submarine films.

. :evil:
never mind that - who`se gonna watch B+W old films : Remember The Titanic :LOL: " I`m the king of the world " ;)

The type of bath with a door are not to be recommended for the elderly. Imagine, you get in the bath, shut the door, turn on the hot tap, now unless there is a thermostat on the tap to control the temp of the water, it's very likely that you will soon find your feet are in scalding hot water, while you fumble to turn on the cold tap to cool the water down, by which time you've probably scalded your feet. If you do manage to have a bath without getting burnt, you then sit in the bath, in the all together, waiting for it to empty, getting colder by the minute.

Usslessatdiy should also stand for usslessatadvice. Why are thousands of these sold every year and looking at some of the referals everyone seems very pleased.
I also know a lady who was riddled with arthritis and just could not have a bath or a shower and bought one of the Walk in baths and it really has changed her life.
Have a look at some of the USA Walk in Bath sites. It has to be right over there or you get sue'd for mega bucks.
I am sending this post as I dont beleive in knocking a product unless I have tried it. :)

Some Social services are no longer supplying these type of baths for the reason I stated.

depending on how old and able can can fit a low profile bath with hand rails on the bath and walls remember people always fit rails at a 45 degree angle as this gives them better grip and ables them to put both hands on the rail and pull up better i have spent 4 years fitting bathrooms for all kinds of people

Do a bit of work for a local authority. The baths I have first fixed for are only fitted by there own engineers. They insist on a flow rate of 13-15l and a certain spec of drainage so that filling and draining the bath happen in a set amount of time.

If first fix not to spec no bath installed. We have had to change combi boiler sand put in new gas runs to achieve the correct flow rates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back