Batten in wrong place?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took tiles off the bottom row of the roof as need to deal with a small leak and partial rotting of the eaves. From the attached photo, there is a batten at the bottom butted up next to a plastic eaves vent that sits on top of the fascia board. The underlay goes over the top of the eaves vent and overhangs the gutter.

At one end, the batten is rotten. I did not think there should be a batten in this position - surely it will just rot as it will sit in water? The house was built around 2002.

My thinking is that the batten should be removed and put felt support trays in (on top of the eaves vent and under the felt)....

But why did they put the batten there - am I missing something?! Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2697.jpg
    IMG_2697.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 211
Sponsored Links
Thanks - looks like it could have been meant as a tilting batten but, even so, would have expected it to be under the felt.

Sponsored Links
I can only guess it was used to stop the felt flapping up in the wind before the tiles went on.Its safe to remove

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back