Batten or Dot & Dab?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys after a bit of advice.

Have a detached garage around 5m long and 5m wide on one side (3m on the other so it’s on a slight angle) anyway…

For the summer I want to get it all sorted. I don’t have a car in there, just a small workbench and a few tools nothing major. It has an old kitchen in there so has wall hung cupboards, Belfast sink and some good counter space.

Anyway - the plan.

Have ordered so insulation for the roof rafters this week and some plasterboard to go up over it (changing the ceiling lights to spotlights too)

For the walls I’m unsure what to do. I currently have sockets all around and the cables are pinned to the breeze block (k-rend exterior). So it’s single breeze block. I’m tempted to get some roof battens as they’re cheap and then some foil backed plasterboard? I was tempted by insulated board but the prices are a lot higher (even on eBay) would using roof battens as a “stud” work? Not sure I can get insulation that thin so foil backed will help? Will eventually have 12mm underlay then carpet on top too.

Secondly, can I get away with scrim tape and filler, then sand and paint to get a good finish without skimming it?

Want to do all this via DIY really and keep costs down for my to be summer project.

Most storage goes in the loft, so will be a bit of a man cave really with a rack in the corner. Will keep kitchen base unites and replace the doors with something more modern!

Other alternative is DnD the walls, I’ve never done this before, and unsure how it will work with the wiring just pinned to the wall?

Thanks in advance sorry to waffle, Simon!

Sponsored Links
You need to insulate the walls (not foil backed plasterboard) or there’s no point insulating the ceiling
OSB/ply board can work well on garage walls, no need to decorate it and easy to fix stuff to

Last edited:
Understood! Could I bet away with 15mm PIR board on the walls if I batten it? Would that be thick enough/sufficient.

I thought about OSB but wanted a smooth plastered like finish then think ply maybe more expensive than plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
Dot and dab is not recommended for single skin walls due to the risk of thermal bridging showing through to the internal face. You'd need to use insulated plasterboard.

15mm PIR is not worth it. 50mm minimum, including between and over the battens ie 25mm over the 25mm battens.

Yes you can use roofing battens and just joint fill and paint. But you'll need to ensure the battens are plumb and aligned across the face - ie more care with any packing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back