Batten out a ceiling to lower 90mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to batten out an existing plasterboard ceiling so that I can drop it just over 90mm and put new 9mm plasterboard on the battens (encapsulating the original plasterboard and coving for now).

I plan to use 45mmx95mm battens, 90 degrees to the joist, at 400mm centres, with the 45mm side against the ceiling, giving me a drop of 95mm.

I plan to drill out 55mm of the batten, and then use 100mm screws, so that I will end up approximately 50mm into the ceiling joist, as shown in the picture below.

Does that sound OK? Do I need to go the whole 50mm into the joists, or could I get away with less?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

QEO5PBY.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you are using impact driver you could use 120mm screw straight in without messing with drilling timber as it should be quite capable of driving screw at leat 30mm into new baton.I would over board with 12mm plasterboard .

If you are using impact driver you could use 120mm screw straight in without messing with drilling timber as it should be quite capable of driving screw at leat 30mm into new baton.I would over board with 12mm plasterboard .

Thanks foxhole. I will be using an impact driver so can try with longer screws.

What would be the minimum depth that I would need to get the screws into the joists? (I'll switch to 12mm plasterboard as you suggest)

Thanks foxhole. I will be using an impact driver so can try with longer screws.

What would be the minimum depth that I would need to get the screws into the joists? (I'll switch to 12mm plasterboard as you suggest)
25mm will hold but deeper the better.

Sponsored Links
Impact or not I would predrill clearance pilot in new wood as well as sinking screws or they may not tighten enough against the plasterboard .
Fwiw , I've just boarded a ceiling using the method you describe

Impact or not I would predrill clearance pilot in new wood as well as sinking screws or they may not tighten enough against the plasterboard .
Fwiw , I've just boarded a ceiling using the method you describe
If it doesn’t tighten you will know .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back