Batteries - one for the techies...

I

imamartian

ok, i have a scalextric type car game, and i put in the batteries, and it was really good.... but then it went really slow... the batteries say (according to my tester) are at 1.43 volts.....

why do batteries at 1.5 volts work, but at 1.43v not work.... and how to use the remaining 1.4 volts?

Sponsored Links
unfortunately, the batteries when tested with a standard multimeter will not be under load, so you will see the "resting" voltage..
when put on load the voltage will drop considerably..

put them back in the game and put the probes accross them while it's running..

Have a look on eBay - you can get a Scalextric transformer for just a few quid.

Sponsored Links
You don't use the Volts, you use the Joules (energy) stored in the battery.

Unfortunaltly the no-load voltage tends to depend on battery design so even with next to no joules left they still tend to indicate a no load voltage of close to nominal. It takes a long time to get the last few joules out.

A fully charged car battery is 13.8volts not 12.6 - 6 cells @ 2.3v
Its also worth noting that NiCd rechargables are only 1.2v fully charged against 1.5v for a new alkaline.

all the info I have ever read says 12.6 (6 cell @ 2.1V)
with 13.8 being a charging value.

# Quiescent (open-circuit) voltage at full charge: 12.6 V
# Unloading-end: 11.8 V
# Charge with 13.2–14.4 V
# Gassing voltage: 14.4 V

I think the exact voltage of a lead acid cell is 2.2v, so we are probably both wrong. Not worth arguing about though, we agree on the proper charging volts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back