Battern strip lights to LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my detached garage wired a few years ago so it has it's own fuse box, several double sockets and 5 strip/battern lights.

I found the light output wasn't great for when i'm detailing in the garage so changed the tubes to led ones which are a lot better.

I'm not having a new garage door fitted (end of year) and the tracks will block the lights which are on the wall (can't fit them to roof) so i was looking into slim led strip lights.

The slim lights are shown to have just 2 wires (positive and neutral) - do lights not use an earth wire these days?

Sponsored Links
Earth wires are only needed if the equipment has metal parts which might become live due to a fault.

Either the new lights are double insulated to prevent that, or they are all plastic.

P.S. Line and Neutral for alternating current.

Thanks for the reply
Had a look inside the old light (which has a metal case) and the wiring into it has 3 wires which go into black connectors with just 2 coming out to connect to the light unit.
With the new lights being all plastic i'll use the same 2 wires from the wiring to power the light and leave the 3rd wire in the block (or should i snip it and cover the end)?

Sleeve it & Put it in a block just in case it's replaced with a light that requires an Earth

Sponsored Links
The new lights arrived today - very slim so wont be knocked when fitted to the walls :)
The wires inside are very thin (like in a car wiring loom) whereas the wiring in the garage is normal household type so should i use block connectors to join them still?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back