Battery alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all just installed a Honeywell ade optimal compact alarm connected the battery but like an idiot connected the terminals the wrong way round blew the battery fuse. Now when I replace the battery fuse it just keeps blowing. HELP

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you re connect the battery with a new fuse fitted and that fuse blows you have possibly damaged the battery charger circuit.
Have you got a multimeter ?
Check to see if you have 12 v D/C on the battery leads without the battery connected.
Is the control panel new ? If faulty you could contact supplier and say control panel faulty and ask for replacement.

Yes the panel is new fault only developed after connecting the terminals the wrong way. I had already started the commission of the alarm when the battery dropped out and this is when I connected the battery the wrong way doh

Check voltages with multimeter
Send panel back as faulty this will saver you problems in the long run

The company that supplied the alarm should also supply spare fuses, otherwise your local electrical outlet will stock them, as does ebay.

If the panel is still outputting 12V on the charging circuit, then a replacement fuse will be easier than sending the panel back, and reinstalling a new one.

All electronics run on smoke, If you let some of the smoke escape the equipment is goosed. Fuses rarely protect semiconductors from reverse polarity since they act much slower than the semiconductor material fails (due to excess current within the structure).

The panel should be designed so that a reverse polarity on the battery does not fubar the circuitry, it should have a diode and a fuse to protect it.
If this is not the case then IMO its a pretty poor design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back