Battery Charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of those power packs that has jump leads attached. For some reason the 15 v adapter that charges the unit doesn't work. I have plugged in another switchable voltage adapter that has a maximum of 12 v output. It seems to be working as the charging light is on the power pack. Will this still charge the pack if left longer than normal ?

Sponsored Links
See here this has been answered on another post.

Likely the answer is yes the voltage at leads should increase until 13.4 volts is reached.

As long as voltage is rising your OK.
12V Normal Voltage
13.4 Float charge voltage
13.8/14.2 Float charge voltage used where short time on charge i.e. Car battery.
14.4/14.8 Bulk charge voltage used with special chargers forklifts etc.
So anywhere between 13.4 and 14.2 while on charge is OK. Above 14.2 unplug and consider as fully charged.
Below 13.4 as long as it is going up all is OK.
Remember the 12V on charger is a RMS value and the peak value is above that so even when meter says 12v on battery charger and it says 13v on battery it will still charge.

Remember the 12V on charger is a RMS value and the peak value is above that so even when meter says 12v on battery charger and it says 13v on battery it will still charge.

How so? The charger's output will almost certainly be DC, so if it reads 12v on a meter, it's 12v, unless the charger has very bad ripple. Remember that these things typically use a basic wall-wart style adaptor for charging.

OP, I'm pretty sure your replacement 12v adaptor will not charge the battery to anywhere near its full capacity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back