Mains input to "hahnel V Pro" battery charger.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a “hahnel Twin V Pro” battery charger for BP915 batteries. I do not have a mains lead for this charger. The only input socket is shared by both the mains and a car charger. Am I correct in assuming that I can input from a 12V mains adapter plug and, if so, what amperage does it need for input.

Sponsored Links
OK. Thanks to both. I am actually using a similar input plug (12V 1.2A), the battery charges up to 40% then seems to stop there. I was really asking if I was doing the right thing !!

Sponsored Links
Whatever adapter you use it must have an output of 12v DC at 1.25amps (or greater)

I'm always wary of buying adapters from eBay as the majority of them are cheap Chinese copies and not fit for purpose.

It could well be a faulty battery, have you tried charging it using the car charger?

Thanks, very useful. I bought the charger in a package along with a battery, I've just received a new batt today and am charging it now, it starts at 20%. As you say , it could be an old/faulty battery with the package. Coincidentally the instructions with the new battery mention that "an old battery may not hold a charge" (I live and learn!). Thanks again.

The hahnel and the BP915 came in a second-hand package, along with a Hasselblad camera etc., the lead to the hahnel was missing and I've used a lead I had in my tool box, rated at 1.2A. Out of interest is the hahnel just a platform for the BP, ie: are there no circuits etc. in the BP. When you mentioned using a car charger I take it you didn't mean charging the BP directly with a car charger (without using the "platform"). The new battery is still showing its original 20%, after 1 hour.

No no I meant using the car lead that would of come with the charger to see if it's the adapter your using that's not working .

I.e. plug it into your cig lighter socket in your car and see if your battery charges

Is the polarity on the power adapter you're using correct , there should be a label showing you the polarity on the charger and one on the power adapter you need to see if these matcg

I thought I was reading that wrongly! To update: found a12v charger from an old lap-top, giving out 3A, have fixed multiple socket to match charger input and others. Works great, bought new BP 315 and is now at 100%. The old battery won't take a charge, stuck at 20%. (I live and learn)
Thanks again.

And my missus whinges at me for keeping old leads and chargers.....

Glad you got it working and for free too!

I know the feeling, I put up another shed in the garden for mine to keep the peace !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back