Sealey battery charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
Just connected my sealey battery charger to my van battery and left to re-charge overnight but the battery is still as flat as a pancake.

It says 20A output on recharge and 80 on boost.
How do I know if the charger is putting out a charging current ?.
The fusible link is intact.

Sponsored Links
If you connect your battery charger then measure the voltage across the battery it should be somewhere in the region of 13.4v-14v DC.

ok my thoughts

if the battery is completly dead as in nothing works at all maybe theres a fault between battery and the car

the amp gauge on the battery charger will tell you if the battery charging or not
0 reading incomplete circuit between charger and battery

low charge rate the battery is well charged

high charge rate the battery is flat [or nearly or fault on the electrics draining power]

The person asking for help is BigBurn ! ! !

perhaps the copper rod in the fuse holder has melted

:D :rolleyes: :evil: :evil:

But seriously.

If you have a compass, the magnetic type put it under ONE of the leads to the battery ( if the wire can be made to run north south it is better ) and note which the way compass it is pointing. Then turn the charger on. If the needle moves then there is current flowing. Only a very rough test and give no real idea of how much is going into the battery.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

I have suspected the charger is faulty as the amp meter needle stays at zero when turned on.
We used to have a little charger with a needle that jumped up and then slowly returned back down which I think indicated the battery was fully charged.

PS. This one has the correct fusible link fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back