Battery charger (do they deteriorate)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a rechargeable battery for my golf trolley, it came with a leaflet saying battery chargers deteriorate, is this a sales ploy. I would have thought hey either charge or don't.

Sponsored Links
I have just bought a rechargeable battery for my golf trolley, it came with a leaflet saying battery chargers deteriorate, is this a sales ploy. I would have thought hey either charge or don't.
I would say that your intuition is correct. Although I suppose that any bit of equipment can theoretically 'deteriorate', it's hard to think of any way in which a charger could 'deteriorate' in such a manner that it didn't stop working all together.

Batteries, of course, most certainly do deteriorate!

Kind Regards, John

Maybe the leaflet was written by someone for whom language was not their first English....

Yes, I did mean to :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Maybe the leaflet was written by someone for whom language was not their first English....

Yes, I did mean to :LOL:
Think not, its printed on quality paper no smellin mitkes.

The first line is
'POSSIBILY THE MOST COOMON REASON FOR PREMATURE CYCLIC BATTERY FAILURE IS A FAILING OR AGING CHARGER'.
it goes on to say,

'There is a view that because a battery charger has no moving parts it can not possibly wear out'.

That's what made me ask the question.

The first line is
'POSSIBILY THE MOST COOMON REASON FOR PREMATURE CYCLIC BATTERY FAILURE IS A FAILING OR AGING CHARGER'.
But there are two spelling mistakes in that line. :mrgreen:

Anyway - moving swiftly on...

'There is a view that because a battery charger has no moving parts it can not possibly wear out'.
Sounds like a very valid POV to me.

Could you ask them what wears out in a battery charger?

...it goes on to say, ... 'There is a view that because a battery charger has no moving parts it can not possibly wear out'.
Indeed, and that view exists because it is very largely true of electronic equipment. Even though some clever clogs will undoubtedly come up with some esoteric 'exceptions which prove the rule', there are very few types of 'wearing out' of electronic devices which result in a deterioration of functionality (rather than complete failure).

The cynical might suggest that they have said these things so that whenever one of their batteries 'wears out' or fails, they can blame it on a less-than-brand-new charger having been used ("despite the warning in their instructions")!!

Kind Regards, John

Components in a charger can go faulty without stopping working, but the most likely event is resistors changing value because of heating and cooling, and a resistor of lower value than specified (or even short circuit) will affect the constant voltage for a SLA battery or the constant current for Nicads/ NMH etc.

To be fair there are some electronic components that either fail slowly or when they do fail suddenly do not cause catastrophic failure of the device.

For example failing capacitors are likely to cause greater ripple on the output. Failing components in the regulator circuit may cause serious overcharging.

As there have been some very firm views expressed here, I think it's worth pointing out that many electronic devices fail these days because of electrolytic capacitor failure. My son regularly rescues broken device by simply changing one or all of the electrolytics.

There is a meme, that may be an urban myth, or may have some foundation, that the recent upsurge in capacitor failure, resulted from an american manufacturer deliberately leaking an incorrect electrolyte formula to a chinese competitor.

(sorry plugwash, your post wasn't there when I started.)

The first line is
But there are two spelling mistakes in that line. :mrgreen:

Anyway - moving swiftly on...

Sounds like a very valid POV to me.

Could you ask them what wears out in a battery charger?

Nothing changes yawnnnnn...THey are my typo errors, did you spot this 'won'

OK. Several people have pointed out that electronic components can 'fail gradually', potentially result in faulty functionality - which could, in some cases (in the context we're talking about) have a detrimental effect on the battery being charged.

However, I would suggest that, in context, we're talking about a very unlikely occurrence and certainly not an inevitable age-related 'wearing out'. I have plenty of regulated power supplies (and plenty of other electronic equipment) which continue to function fully satisfactorily after very many years (in some cases many decades) of service.

...and electrolytic capacitors, undoubtedly the most likely of electronic components to deteriorate/'fail', at least IME, tend to become 'leaky' (and/or go bang!), rather than 'lose capacitance'.

Kind Regards, John

The battery charger covers a whole range of appliances.
1) The simple charger delivers a small current with a max voltage of around 16 volt.
2) as we progress the charger likely gives a 13.8 volt output.
3) Then we get the three stage a) max amps. b) volts 14.8 until current drops to set point the c) 13.4 volt hence the three stage.
4) Next is the pulse charger which measures the voltage so many second after the charge has been switched off and may have up to 7 stages.

Batteries also vary with lead acid the peak voltage can vary between 14.2 and 14.8 volts depending if vented and if one can top up the electrolyte level.

At 13.4 volt most 12 volt led acid batteries have no problem. Some need 13.2 volt but in the main 13.4 is good.

But at 13.4 many would take a week to fully charge and the idea is to fully charge over night. To do this the stage charger bang a really high charge until 80% charged at which point it slows down so it does not buckle the plates.

By pulsing the charge and looking at the volt drop after each pulse the charger can better cope with batteries being used while being charged.

One is looking at a charger costing £5 and costing £500 all for 12 volt lead acid but clearly very different use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back