Battery charging GENIUS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cavalier battery charger.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hi, Advice please.

The images are of a Cavalier battery charger on my boat, 12v 20 amp 3 outlets. Connected to a Sure Power Multi Battery Isolator Model 702, Max Alternator 70 amp DC 6 to 50v. Then my 3 110 amp (2 bank) lead acid starter batteries.

You will see the Battery Isolator has 3 connections. The centre connection is from the alternator and the other 2 outer connections go to the battery banks. The 2 feeds from the charger are also connected to these outer pegs. You may have realised the charger has 3 outlets but only 2 are used and this is the reason for this post. It has occurred to me the 3rd outlet on the charger could have been connected to the peg on the multi battery isolator which supplies charge to the bank with 2 batteries. I guess each of the 3 outlets provides 6.66 amps of charge and one is wasted.

The situation is the Cavalier charger is broken and needs replacing so what do I do/how do I wire my new charger?

New chargers are available with 2 or 3 outlets.

Look forward to replies.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Just get 2 outlets and connect them up as they are connected now. ie 1 to each bank of batteries. If you try to connect multiple chargers together its likely that just one of them will take all the load, rather than charging at twice the rate, or some sort of internal protection will be triggered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back