battery keeps going dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ALL I have a rover 420sli and the battery keeps going dead. have put new battery on and same thing happens, I have noticed (only in the dark)
that the alternator warning light just flickers is this right or could it be the problem

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
LenA,about the only thing you can do is check the fan belt tension,as if it is slack,the alternator will not be turning fast enough to charge.If tension is ok,then take yourself off to a parts shop with an alternator testing facility.
As you have already replaced the battery,AND cleaned the terminals,haven't you?The most likely culprit is the alternator IMHO. (in my humble opinion)

Voltage regulator in the alternator is probably knackered. Usually just bolt onto the back of the alternator

Cheers ALL... the culprit was a diode gone dead allowing battery to drain to earth....Many thanks to everyone

lenA,glad you have got the problem sorted.Have you had to buy an alternator or have you found someone who could diagnose a diode fault,and supply/fit the parts.Anyone prepared to strip and overhaul anything is getting rare nowadays.

i have found its cheaper to buy replacement ones from salvage yards than repair old ones

yes2mud said:
lenA,glad you have got the problem sorted.Have you had to buy an alternator or have you found someone who could diagnose a diode fault,and supply/fit the parts.Anyone prepared to strip and overhaul anything is getting rare nowadays.
Too true. My bruv had a good going business for years reconditioning starters and alternators. He gave up a couple of years ago because the cost of components and the availabilty of suppliers. A huge amount of the recon stuff was being shipped to China reconned and shipped back to Uk and sold for less than he buy some of the spares needed to recon in his workshop.

Sponsored Links
Back