Battery query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
I’ve recently returned from two weeks holiday and the alarm control panel didn’t bleep on re-entry and the control panel window was blank – all dead. This was because at some point while we were away the the 6 amp MCB in the consumer unit for ‘upstairs lighting’ – the part of the circuit that the alarm is connected to - had tripped and left the alarm running on battery alone until the battery ran down (the battery was a new one). I switched the MCB back on and reset the time and date on the control panel and the alarm now seems to be working (the ‘power’ light on the control panel is on).

[I’m pretty sure the MCB trip itself was caused by a bulb popping in our landing light - while we were away I used time switches on the lights to turn them on and off at set times. These are the mechanical time switches which fit over the light switch on the wall and physically move the wall switch between the On and Off positions at the set times, not one of the ones that plug into a wall socket].

My query is this: – The alarm is now running OK but obviously will do so as long as the mains power is uninterrupted. But do I now need another new battery (as it has run down when we were away) or will it recharge itself now that power is back on?

NB : The battery in the alarm was a new Yuasa installed only a week or so before we went away and the alarm was working fine at that point.

Alarm type: Accenta mini G4
Battery: Yuasa Y2.1-12, 12v 2.1Ah Sealed Lead Acid

Thanks in anticipation of responses.

Sponsored Links
Unless you a battery discharge tester then it's anybodies guess! Some recover fully some dont , as the battery is only around £10 I know what I would do .

The battery (if new) is almost certainly fine if it was installed a week before you went away. Average life is expected to be 5 years (dependant on use).

There is a good chance though that when the battery was connected the sudden rush of current initially requested by the battery to charge was sufficient to pop the battery fuse.

Check the fuse, if blown replace with the same, not similar, check the charge voltage (battery disconnected). This should be within 0.5v of the auxiliary power (that supplies the detectors), if the battery charge voltage is above 14.0v then you have to adjust the voltage down, but lets keep things simple for now.

EDIT :
Just reread initial post, and most of this doesn't apply, but I'll leave here just in case it helps others!

Note to self: Read things properly!

Sorry for delay in getting back. Thanks for these replies. Looks like the only safe option is to buy another new battery.

Sponsored Links
Generally, SLA batteries don't like deep discharge and received wisdom says that you should change it. However, I have found that new(ish) batteries often recover after an event like yours. As always, sparkymarka has it right but, then again, he has a battery tester!!

ACT make a "battery saver" that will disconnect the battery when it's discharge voltage drops below about 10.5V, saving it from deep discharge. - A bit late now but it might be useful in the future...

Buy some LED bulbs tor your landing!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back