Baumatic experts help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Baumatic B187BL"B electric oven has just made the electrics trip, after resetting the rcd the oven light,fan,clock and grill still work but no heat from oven. Am i right in thinking thermostat blown? If so are they easy to replace, how expensive? the oven is about 5/6 years old no problems before and in really good condition as is the matching hob.

Sponsored Links
My Baumatic B187BL"B electric oven has just made the electrics trip, after resetting the rcd the oven light,fan,clock and grill still work but no heat from oven. Am i right in thinking thermostat blown? If so are they easy to replace, how expensive? the oven is about 5/6 years old no problems before and in really good condition as is the matching hob.

It could be your oven element.

Prices here

http://www.espares.co.uk/parts/cookers-and-hobs/baumatic/b187bl-b/p/1092/1533/0/1252974

As the RCD tripped it is more likely then heating element that has failed.
This should be fairly straightforward to replace for a competant DIYer using safe isolation procedures. A multimeter is a useful tool for proving the state of the element.

Sponsored Links
can i test this easily? are you both quite sure that it is the element? im a gas fitter and familiar with electrics so do you think i will be capable of fitting a new element or will it be worth my while getting an electrician to do it as im pushed for time plus i rent the property out? if a electrician is needed, how much should i be paying?

can i test this easily? are you both quite sure that it is the element? im a gas fitter and familiar with electrics so do you think i will be capable of fitting a new element or will it be worth my while getting an electrician to do it as im pushed for time plus i rent the property out? if a electrician is needed, how much should i be paying?

I was in a similar position a couple of weeks ago when my rental property oven tripped the mcb - I am a spark but didn't have time to get up there to sort it out so ended up paying a total £90 (£35 labour) for a new element.

If you want to do it yourself search on the web there are loads of sites which explain how to replace oven elements.
Like here for example:
http://www.appliancesparesandparts.co.uk/replacing_a_fan_oven_element.html

can i test this easily?

Yes, isolate the oven and lock off/disconnect. Disassemble as required and disconnect both leads from the element, test the restance across the ends of the element, you should see a result not too far away from the 15 to 20 ohms mark (assuming oven in the range 2.5-3.5kw), now test between one end and the case, and you should see nothing at all, not even on the kilohms range

will top and bottom element need changing bare in mind the grill still works? does the oven need to come out or can i change it/them in situ. really not sure if to takcle it or let someone whom changes them every day. fill me with confidence boys please

If the grill element works, then there is no reason to change this!

Elements are almost invaribly need access to the back, the oven should simply slide out if you remove the 4 screws at the front which fix it into the cabinet

Normally you open the oven door, at the back of the inside of the oven will be a plate that pertrudes a little and could well have some fan fins in it.
Sometime 4 screws sometimes 2 screws fixing this plate, undo the screws and the back plate will come off, you may have to lift it slightly.
Then this will give you access to the element again this will be fixed in be screws, undo them and the element should pull away, then reverse method to replace it.
Isolate the appliance before you start messing about with it, the grilll element will not need to be replaced as it still works.
If you contact the manufacturers they will tell you the model type of element that is needed.

thanks people went to look at oven today and its the fan element so having it fixed on friday, £70 inc vat for part/labour so thought that was reasonable. thanks againxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back