Bausen engineered untreated oak flooring - blue patches!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've just started laying nearly 40sq m of untreated oak flooring in our hall ... and discovered that most boards have small bluey/grey areas where the manufacturer (Bausen) seems to have used something to fill any cavities around knots etc.

We were hoping to stain this floor to match a solid oak clad staircase ... but now are a little worried by the look of these areas and how we are going to treat them. Can't raise a response from Bausen technical department - so was just wondering whether any professionals here had any info on what is going on here? Is it a material that possibly we could dissolve out ... I'd prefer a slightly pitted finish to one that had these spots of colour on it.

Shall try to upload a photo in a bit ... hopefully will explain more!

Sponsored Links
Its just the colour of the filler they have used, not much you can do about it.

you could try picking it out, its fairly hard though, and replacing it for a different colour filler.

Thanks Aron ... but got to admit ... find this very strange. Why use a such a crazy colour? Maybe it reacts differently when you treat it with the wax or oil? Still no answer from their corporate line.

Bizarre.

Sponsored Links
Ok ... just to update this in case anyone else comes across this wanting the answer ... the technical desk came back to reassure me that any oil or treatment that is put over this type of filler will immediately blend it with whatever finish is being applied. For some reason this way works the best ... and if you start with a natural wood coloured filler it doesn't end up looking nearly so natural.

I'm not sure what they mean by "blend it", yes the finish will blend with the filler, it will still have obvious black/blue filler in it, makes not sense in relation to your issue.

No wood coloured filler won't look natural, no fillers do, but brown filler will look much less obvious than black/blue filler.

Using filler is acceptable, of any colour, but it also matters how the product is described, and what samples where provided.

We haven't yet got our final stain & finish materials, so can't test yet ... but got to say that I'm satisfied that such a big company with such depth of experience in this area wouldn't just use blue/grey filler for a laugh!

I'll post some before after pix once we're done anyway ...

Are they paying you?

No ... and it would be a pretty weird way to set about promoting a company even if I was!

Ok ... let's leave it. As I said, I'll post some b4/after pix once we're done, and we can see then how it works out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back