when to oil new untreated engineered floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am getting some Oak engineered untreated floor which I will oil with Osmo wax oil but when is the best time to oil it?

I was thinking of oiling the planks loose and then gluing them once the oil is dry and then applying the second coat once its down and glued so that it gets an overall blanket of coating at the end which will catch any gaps etc. My reason for thinking to do it this way is because the planks will so easily mark with stains from handling and gluing and by treating them before they have had much handling I ensure a clean surface gets coated and protected.

Obviously waiting until it is all down and then doing 2 coats will be quicker but it is a largish area (40m2) and will take me a few days to lay it all with all the cutting in and I am worried with all the walking about, clamping it together and gluing it will possibly get marked.

Whats the most popular way or preferred way?

Sponsored Links
Also I've been trying to get the room done for Christmas, kids are hassling me to finish so they can put the decorations up, and I've been so messed about by the supplier that its getting difficult to achieve this now with the twice cancelled deliveries because they couldn't get the stock in time, so is there anything stopping me from oiling some individual planks straight away i.e. they are supposed to have 48 hours to acclimatise, will it prevent it acclimatising or anything like that?

If I could oil some and get some drying I could be making some headway in that 48 hours by getting planks ready to glue with 1st coat already done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back