Wood flooring, hardwax oiled applied, not a great finish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Coated my wood floor with Osmo Wood Wax Extra Thin Hardwax Oil this morning. Waited an hour as it was dry and the wood had sucked up the oil and applied a second coat, as per instructions. Now however, it's an uneven finish which doesn't look great. When I do a 'scratch' test on the wood, there is no excess oil at all as white marks/powder don't show up. Would you have any suggestions on what I could do with this? It's an exotic wood called North Indian Rosewood with a tight grain. Attached is a picture.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 389
Sponsored Links
Coated my wood floor with Osmo Wood Wax Extra Thin Hardwax Oil this morning. Waited an hour as it was dry and the wood had sucked up the oil and applied a second coat, as per instructions.

The instructions I'm looking at say wait 30 mins then wipe off excess.
Actually based on the wax oil product I've used, I'd say 30 mins is too long. But maybe this one is different. I'm not an expert.
Anyway, it's hard to tell from a photo but my guess would be that there is now too much wax on the surface. You might like to contact Osmo and ask their advice.

I would try giving the whole surface a wipe over with a clean cloth dampened with some more oil

Did you rub the floor down first, and if so, what grade did you use. I believe they do a wax polish, that might correct it.

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert. That seems like quite a short time to wait before a second coat.
If it was me, I'd be looking to buff it in some way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back