Baxi 105e always on - wi-fi thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had some issues with my BAxi 105e in July which required a new PCB to be fitted.
I have a tower rx/tx wi-fi thermostat fitted, if I'm honest has never been perfect, it started playing up (least I think its the thrmostat) in that it would not respond to the transmitter unless i took out the batteries to reset it. I'm now having to use the controls on the boiler to control the system ie. turn it off and on. I decided to replace the thermostat with a different make and model but this has not fixed the issue exactly.

I bought a wireless combi programmable thermostat which is specifically made for my type of combi. ie. It just slots into the housing which held the Tower receiver.
I cannot get this to work correctly. It supposed to take control of the boiler as soon as switched on and a wifi connection is made. It has a couple of lights on the receiver blue to say the system is on and red for its connection to the transmitter. both lights are off, however if i press the 'Manual button' on the receiver both lights come on and the thermostat takes control. This lasts for about 5 minutes after which both lights go out and the boiler goes into always on mode again.

Is it possible that I have a faulty boiler CH thermostat which is sending out the wrong temp to the units?

any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks Al

Sponsored Links
I am going to hedge my bets here, I don't like having a wireless thermostat with receiver built into the boiler. In my opinion it is in the wrong place they normally tell you not to mount the receiver too near electrical or metal because it won't work properly. So attaching receiver to the boiler it won't work properly. But manufacturers do it, so does that make it right? That is just my opinion which means I can't give you an answer.

hi thanks for this,

how is the receiver connected to the boiler if its not built in. the wires are very short so I cant see how a different receiver would fit.

Al

I always run a separate 4 core cable from boiler to receiver in plastic trunking that is for 1 permanent live 1 neutral and a live in from thermostat connection and switched live out back to other thermostat connection on boiler.

Sponsored Links
I'll have another go at using the new wifi thermostat in a couple of days.. meanwhile I've reconnected the wired thermostat which seems to work just fine. Maybe I'll just buy a digital wired thermostat which should cut out any issues.

I'll have another go at using the new wifi thermostat in a couple of days.. meanwhile I've reconnected the wired thermostat which seems to work just fine. Maybe I'll just buy a digital wired thermostat which should cut out any issues.

Tower prog's and stat's are rubbish in my opinion ,so good job you replaced it.
One less problem for the future! :)

Thanks Jamsie, I had a look and basically its the same wiring etc..

I've had another go at getting it to work but have decided life is too short and am returning the faulty item for a refund.

I'll fit a digital wired room thermostat instead.

I decided to ring the manufacturers (Ravenheat) prior to sending the unit back to the suppliers. They could not have been more helpful. The guy I spoke to (Matt) stayed on the phone and talked me through setting it up and programming it. It seems the documentation is not as good as it could be (I'm a computer systems programmer, so stuff like this should be a doddle for me). Anyway all is working as it should be, well for the last two days anyway. One issue which remains is that if I pick up the thermostat it immediately shows the tempreture rising. Once I put it back down it starts to come back to the real tempreture. I'm going to wall mount it so this should not be too much of an issue.
Thanks for the help you've given me, all very illuminating.

Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back