baxi 105e - hot water issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Strange problem - Whilst hot water is available on most taps in the house, one of them seems not to fire the boiler up consistantly. The tap is furthest from the boiler, not as the crow flies but due to walls etc has the longest pipe run. The boiler is 9 years old and has always worked without fault. I'm just wondering what could cause this issue?. I've noticed that if I turn on the tap and the boiler does not fire up turning on another tap does so and then stays on even if the second tap is turned off.

Any thoughts welcomed as ever.

PS. is it me or has this site become very slow..?

Sponsored Links
1st thing to do is to check/replace domestic diaphragm.I have had slow running issues on site recently but today seems ok.

Thanks...I've ordered a kit and will replace asap...I'll let you know how I get on...Do you find this site very slow...it used to be ok but just lately it takes ages to load a page...all other sites are ok..

Just watch that pcb when you change that diaphragm. Pack plenty of towel in the area.The slightest hint of damp near it and it will pop.
Been there, done that :oops:

Graham

Sponsored Links
Ok all went according to plan. I must say the details which are provided by Baxi for installation, servicing and replacing parts is great.

Water back to normal, more likely to have been a sticking needle on the device rather than a faulty diaphram. anyway job done.! thanks for your help on this.

One small fly in the ointment perhaps. I noticed that the CH pressure indicator had gone off the scale. Thinking I must have bent something when I was replacing the diaphram I checked the connections for the dial. It was a bit bent so I straightened it out (in a manner of speaking as the pipe is actually coiled). With the heating off the dial goes down to almost nothing when on it sits at about 2.5 (which I think is normal), but it jumps now and again along with assoiciated noises from (sounds a bit like air bubbles) from the boiler..Any thoughts on this..?

Is anybody else having issues with this site..it seems to take an age to load pages...I don't have problems with any other site.

Oh dear! you fix one problem and another comes along quite quickly...

The expansion vessel has blown...water started pouring down the back of the boiler a couple of days after I fixed the hot water issue..

Called the guy who installed the boiler 9 years ago who said "no way as they very rarely break" anyway he came in a day or so later...he will order a new expansion vessel..!!should be here monday but he won't be able to fit it until wed/thurs..which I think is very good considering he's up to his eyeballs in callouts and workload...

I can still use the system just need to keep emptying the bucket and topping up the system again...

I asked if I had a 10 year guarantee but it was only 8 years... :D

Al

So new expansion vessel fitted, he did it without taking the boiler off the wall. The new vessel was fitted in less than two hours and all for £130 all in.

Gave him a christmas box to show my appreciation and so all is well with the world..

Merry Christmas Al

I thought i'd own up.... :cry: and its not a disaster as yet..! he says hopefully.

i'm keeping a check on the new expansion vessel pressure..! oh dear its starting to creep up again. If you remember I said earlier, prior to the new EV being fitted, that I had to keep emptying the bucket I'd put under the leak. Which was strange as there should be a finite amount of water in the EV and once exhausted the leak should stop...only it did not..!.
Anyway a new EV was fitted and all seemed ok....after a few days I noticed that the pressure was over the 3 mark and nearly at 4. ( as I understand it it should be at 1 when cold and 3 when on full heat). Now..and heres the confession (and at the moment its only theory..yeah right!) ..some months previously I fitted two new bathroom towel rails and a new shower (running off the combi boiler). one of the towel rails just replaced an old radiator the other was in a new position. Being a have a go type person (well I was a millwright in an earlier, much earlier life) I fitted the new towel rails and shower myself. Yes you've guessed it..! I must have connected one of the pipes into the HW rather than the CH..Its yet to be proved although there cannot be much doubt. The pressure only rises slowly not like when you are topping up the CH system which seems to be instant. So there you have it...I'll be under the floor boards tomorrow trying to work out which pipe in incorrectly installed...I feel such an idiot as it appears that the EV only blew because the pressure got so high as to destroy the bladder in the EV...... :rolleyes:

Turns out I was not to blame afetr all...All the pressure issues seem to have stemed from a faulty plate heat exchanger (subject of another post).

The Faulty plate hex (this device heats up the DHW) had pin holes in it allowing mains water to enter the CH system, this in turn blew the rubber bladder in the pressure vessel which meant fitting a new pressure vessel.

After which the pressure started to rise again...in the other post Muggles helped me out by identifying the fault in the Plate hex...and even giving me the list of parts I required....I've now fitted said Plate hex and all appears ok..! only did it 3 hours ago so still some trepidation...

What a great site this is for expert advice...Thanks again to all who assisted me in fixing this problem..

Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back