Baxi 105e poor central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a baxi 105e boiler that was fitted to the house when I moved in but over the past year the central heating temperature has dropped. Now only the rads near the boiler get warm. I had a plumber in who checked the pump all OK, checked some filter all OK and then said the diverter valve was duff and needed changing. He did this but it has made no difference all the radiators are fully opened up but as soon as the boiler fires the internal bypass pipework gets red hot and in a minute the boiler shuts down. It looks to be just pumping the central heating around the boiler like the bypass is open all the time. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Isolation valve not opened fully.

System / boiler sludged up.

Other blockage somewhere in CH circuit. [Manifolds are a favourite on microbore systems]

I'm sure these have an integral bypass which could be stuck open.

pump speed set too low. Where speed can be adjusted it should be on max.

Perhaps the pump isn't as fit as your man thinks it is.[Is it noisy?]

Perhaps he hasn't looked in the right place for a filter OR the filter is fitted in the wrong place [usually on return valve]

Isolation valves fully open
It has got an internal bypass and this is getting hot
Pump speed is set at max and was only replaced 6 months ago
Filter checked on the inlet manifold all clear
How can I check the bypass to see if it's stuck

The question is:- Is the bypass opening because of high resistance in the system or because its stuck open or both?

An automatic by-pass is fitted on a pipe between flow and return with a spring loaded valve which opens when the spring has less resistance to the flow of water from the pump than the rest of the system. They go wrong when crud from the system gets in the seat of the valve leaving it permanently open.

Id be eliminating the sludge/ blockage idea first by taking a downstairs rad off and checking that water and not sludge comes from both rad valves.
The bypass stuck open idea is less likely IMO unless a baxi engineer comes on here and says otherwise.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back