Baxi 105e pressure problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where do I start........!?
Had a radiator spring a leak earlier this year....replaced and fitter set pressure at about 3 bar...which I thought a bit high...so he did drain a bit off. Noticed not long after that the overflow was dripping outside... Someone suggested turning the fill-loop valves off (has been sitting with one off and one on since boiler was installed)... This seemed to cure the drip...but a couple of days later all the pressure was lost.... Returned the fill-up valves to one on/one off, added about a bar of pressure, during use went up to just under 3....but the drip was back. At this point I resolved to call an engineer...(but havent...yet)!
Last night turned the heating on for the first time in a couple of weeks and the boiler started making lots of noise, the bar pressure was off the scale!
Switched off since, closed the fill-up valves, pressure now showing zero and no drip.
Assuming prv isnt working (!) and possible fault with fill-up valves (?)...question is - is it safe to turn back on and re-pressurise for showers etc until I can get an engineer in?!

Sorry for waffle...any advice appreciated.... :)

Sponsored Links
Restore the system pressure, it should be 1.0 - 1.5 with the system cold. Remove the filling loop - this way you can tell if the loop is shutting off properly.

Pressure will rise as the System gets hotter, but the pressure should not rise above 2.0 bar. 2.5 bar MAX.

At 3 bar, a safety valve will open to discharge excess water pressure, but when these valves open, they often fail to re-seat - leaving you will an annoying 'drip' - and a continual pressure drop of the heating system.

Mr. W.

Thanks for reply misterdubya......that probably explains the initial drip problem....but I'm presuming the safety valve isnt working at all, as the pressure was literally off the scale last night (ie way past 4 bar)... :(

So it should be okay to re-pressurise and use hot water as long as I keep an eye on it (until I can get someone out - preferably not on a bank holiday!) ??

Re-pressurise and put the heating on.

Watch the pressure guage for 20-30 mins.

Post back what the guage reads after all the rads are hot.

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
Basics of the problem go deeper than that.
Your prv is leaking because your system is corroded and full of crap; until you solve that, you will keep having problems.

Eeeeeek!
Pressurised to 1 bar....heating on.......upstairs rads hot, downstairs getting hot.....gauge reading 3 1/2 bar and rising after just 10 minutes..... :eek:

Have switched off again!
:(

You need to either repair, or replace the expansion vessel.

You may need a new filling loop kit (or part of one if its passing) - you need to remove the loop to test.

You will probably need a new PRV.

EDIT, just seen bens post. :oops:

Mr. W.

Okay...thanks guys....
Sounds expensive :cry:
Would you say dont use at all then until I can get someone to fix.....?

Dont use the heating. It will be fine for hot water (with an occasional top-up).

Heres hoping the vessel can be repaired - otherwise the boiler will have to come off the wall (unless a remote vessel is fitted).

Mr. W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back