Baxi 105e should I replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning All,

A loaded question if I may, we currently have a Baxi 105e which was already installed when we moved into the property in 2012, in the main its done its job, we have it serviced each year and apart from the odd minor issue its been ticking over Ok.

I believe that our boiler is 18 years old, the serial number reads MBK044272023AB, which from my research suggests it was manufactured in 2004 , week 42.

Our house was built in 1901, its 3 bedrooms with single brick, no cavity wall installation, plenty of loft insulation and recent (< 5 years old) double glazing, Honeywell VTL117 TRV's.

In the summer its nice and cool, but in the winter is does get cold, and with us both working from home, we tend to have the boiler on for between 12 - 14 hours a day in the winter months , we control the boiler using a Honeywell CM927, which we have in the lounge and this is set to a room temp of 21 degrees.

With the ever spiralling energy price hikes this year I am starting to think that it would make more economical sense to get the boiler replaced , even if it saves us £10 - £20 a month at least that's something, although this goes against my principal of if it isn't broke don't fix it

So, I'll ask the following if I may

1. Any recommendations for replacement type of boiler.
2. Rough indication of installation costs
3. Anything else I should be considering

Many thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
Valid points but going forward would a new boiler not be more economical that a 18 year old model, irrespective of the net gain, my car 18 years ago isn't as good as my current car, don't get me wrong I see the point in keeping it but sod's law says it'll go in winter and it'll be a bugger to get it swapped out

Sponsored Links
I would get a proper, not a 20 minute MOT, service on that boiler. It is a solid boiler. Then instal better controls if you want to save fuel

got a 105 myself 21 year old got to be one of most reliable and simplest combi to fix ever made and as parts are still readily available i always tell people to keep it until say the main heatexchanger goes which is rare .
They around 82% efficient new condensing boilers although they state around 92% efficient that is only for a short period of time and not constant and they drop to mid to low 80% efficient .
So your not going to save a great deal for your outlay .
But when it does give the ghost up replace it with a baxi 630 it will go on with basically no pipework alteration and use the same flue hole and is a cracking boiler

I am starting to think that it would make more economical sense to get the boiler replaced
It doesn't.

even if it saves us £10 - £20 a month at least that's something,
Even if a new boiler did save that much, that's £1200 - £2400 over 10 years, which might just about pay for the boiler if it was a cheapo one and it actually lasted that long.

If the walls are single skin then I'd use the money that you want to spend on a new boiler, putting up stud walls and insulation, you'd probably get much more benefit from that.
Actually when I was on just on holiday sat on the beach I was thinking this very same thing, now awaiting some quotes.....

Thanks for this post. I have exactly the same boiler and was thinking exactly the same thing. We seem to use (according to USwitch) an above average amount of Gas 19,262kwh , Electricity 5902kwh over a year. We live in a 3 bed 1930's semi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back