Baxi 130 HE combi.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked to do a LGSC on a 3 year old Baxi 130 HE combi. It was immediately apparent it wasnt installed competently as the benchmark was empty, the through tile flue was on the tilt, no scale inhibitor, etc etc. However I was slightly worried by the analyser results.

On full rate it was reading 184ppm for CO, 10.0% CO2 with a ratio of about 0.001. This seemed way over the odds to me. Also the gas rate check gave 23 seconds for 1cu ft, which equated to 47kw! Doing the same check a while later gave a more sensible 34kw. The working pressure at the boiler was 16.4mbar vs 22 at the boiler so obviously the pipework hadn't been done properly.

So I am at a bit of a loss as to what to tell the customer. She had the boiler installed as part of of kitchen extension. She is expecting to replace the boiler in the near future as she realises it was not installed correctly.

Sponsored Links
all i can think is remedy the boiler faults ..

re pipe the gas/flush the boiler and inhibitor/fit scale inhibitor nice little job .. :) wish they all was this easy . :)

also report who ever fitted it .. :)

I dont see any problem!

This is a landlord so dont feel any special sympathy for them as you might for an OAP.

The boiler was clearly fitted by a non registered builder and that was accepted by the landlord or better stated the landlord chose a cheap builder who was not using a CORGI boiler installer.

You have to clearly state that the boiler is At Risk ( or ID if you prefer ) and should not be used until the gas supply and flue ( if so ) are corrected.

No need for an new boiler just remedial action to correct the poor installation.

Tony

htgeng said:
On full rate it was reading 184ppm for CO, 10.0% CO2 with a ratio of about 0.001. This seemed way over the odds to me.
There is nothing wrong with this reading. Do not be blinkered in to the thought that all boilers should run with very low CO readings against PPM

Most condensing boilers and zero governor boilers run at between 8 and 11% CO2 and this is the reading that matters, that is unless the CO is off the scale which this clearly wasnt.

The other problems obviously need looking at but the boilers burning fine from those readings.

Stan

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I dont see any problem!
The boiler was clearly fitted by a non registered builder and that was accepted by the landlord or better stated the landlord chose a cheap builder who was not using a CORGI boiler installer.
I never saw the OP mention that!..or have you actually seen the guy installing this boiler and asked him this question.
You seem unable to presume that a Corgi could have actually installed this thing wrong!! or are they all perfect in your neck of the woods Mr Glazier :mad:

Stan

pannierstan said:
htgeng said:
On full rate it was reading 184ppm for CO, 10.0% CO2 with a ratio of about 0.001. This seemed way over the odds to me.
There is nothing wrong with this reading. Do not be blinkered in to the thought that all boilers should run with very low CO readings against PPM

Most condensing boilers and zero governor boilers run at between 8 and 11% CO2 and this is the reading that matters, that is unless the CO is off the scale which this clearly wasnt.
Stan

Ok, I am just used to very low CO readings from my boiler commissioning work, but as you said, the C02 seemed in the right ballpark.

Tony was right about it being installed by non-reg builder. The owner has had numerous other problems with the building work. I found it unusual too as she said he had come with high recommendations. There were water stains on the boiler to suggest water ingress around the flue area, so the whole thing does need some remedial work as you guys have said.

I noted all the defects on the LGSC form so I feel I have covered my back.

[quote="pannierstan]You seem unable to presume that a Corgi could have actually installed this thing wrong!! or are they all perfect in your neck of the woods Mr Glazier

Stan[/quote]

I cannot think of even ONE builder I have seen or heard of during the last two years that used a CORGI registered installer.

Tomorrow I am going to see a boiler which the person who has called says was fitted by a CORGI.

Trouble is the CORGI says that he did not fit it! He does know him though because he used to fit some boilers for him 10 years ago. Now it seems he just fits them himself and uses the other fellow's CORGI number!

Most CORGIs I come across do do things properly because they value their professionalism and registration and know how hot CORGI are on careless installers!

Tony

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back