Baxi back boiler - Central Heating not working,hot water is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

First off, I have very little knowladge of CH Systems, infact I have none!

Came in yesterday, digital timer was not lighting up, checked the fuse box and the CH trip switch was tripped. Flicked it on, timer was then back to life. However, the heating does not appear to be working now??????

I have looked at the baxi and the pilot light is on, hot water is still hot, but all rads are cold, the timer is switched on, I have even tried the boost buttom, but makes no difference.

The thermo switch is all sitting at 30c, (full blast) ..still nothing, I have tried reducing this too 15c, 20c, and 25c.......makes no difference.

I am not scared to have a go at trying to fix this if someone can suggest where the problem may be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Stephen

Sponsored Links
you may have a blown fuse with the meter triping, check your fuses on any fused switches, you should have one at the main wiring center maybe one next to programmer and maybe one situated near to the bbu, check them first

you may still have hot water stored in the cylinder which would give you the impression that the boiler is working ok on hot water, check this by selecting hot water then look at bbu and see if it fires up

if the boiler is working ok and firing up after all the above check the pump as ive had it where the pump has packed up in a situation like this !!

Sponsored Links
if the boiler is working ok and firing up after all the above check the pump as ive had it where the pump has packed up in a situation like this !!

Thanks for the replys guys, with regards to the fuse, I don't think I will be as the control unit had no lights on or digital display, however when I flicked the switch it lit up and digital display was back too.

I've tried switching it to hot water only and the back bouiler does not burst into life, although while switched on to ch and hw today, I'm sure I heard it fire up a couple of times, but it's defo not doing it now. P.s. Pilot light is defo on.

Any further advice, scarfs or gloves appreciated! Haha

im not to clever with back boilers but is it a gravity system on the hot water ? if thats the case then your hot water will get hot if it fires up if not you may have a 3 port system or a 2 port system (one or two silver (could be white also) valves most of the time found in your cylinder cupboard these may not be opening up this may be the problem. if so these can be manually opened up via the leave on the side of the valves slid to the open position

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back