Baxi Back Boiler - worth Changing?

Wazz said:
The 'not having heating or hot water at the same time' bit, I assume thats only a problem if someone is, for example having a shower when the hot water is due to come on?
I don't think you quite understand how a combi works. The hot water is heated instantaneously when an appliance (tap or shower) is turned on. It's available on demand 24 hrs a day. When you're running a shower the hot water is already on for the shower.

The problem is while you run your shower or bath etc, the radiators go off. Although they would stay hot for quite some time.

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
When I spot test my Vaillants flat out on hot water they give around 86% -88% efficiency on FGA

Dan, that "efficiency" read on the FGA is some kind of combustion efficiency.

Its not the same as the real boiler efficiency measured as hot water out compared with kW of gas in.

In any case the boilers are quoted as the seasonal efficiency not the spot efficiency on full power which is often 95%-97% on many of ther latest models at low output temperatures.

Tony

:oops: A little late but....

Why not consider keeping the current bbu and relocating a nice shiney new unvented cylinder in the loft?

Hi,
Ok... We are changing to a combi and I have started the removal of the old hot water tank etc. I have just had a chat with the installer and he says he is going to install a worcester 28i boiler. I have just checked it on there web site and it says its a catD... should I push for a more efficient one than this?

ta

Sponsored Links
Probably means a greenstar 28i which is an A rated appliance.

Thanks for the reply... its not the greenstar, its the junior.
I dont really understand the difference, in running cost terms betwen a at A and D... is it worth paying extra for the more efficient?

i know it is the greenstar 28i junior :) , it would be illegal for him to fit the standard efficiency 28i junior.

oh.... how come? I mentioned it to him and his words were.. I dont think its part of the greenstar range.... oh well... I will quiz him later.
Thanks!

All boilers MUST be SEDBUK A or B rated - i.e., condensing. If its not a Greenstar he's having you on. He won't be able to notify the installation - are you 100% sure he's CORGI? Have you seen and checked is ID card.

All right then.

All boilers MUST be SEDBUK A or B rated; unless you meet the criteria for an exemption - which has been set up in a such a way that hardly anyone qualifies.

Assuming of course that Billhooks is a euphemism for bo11ocks.

There's no guarantee of course but the likelyhood is that a 3 bed semi in Manchester is unlikely to meet the exemption points.

thanks everyone for your replies!!

My old boiler... is it worth anything to anyone? I mean... I mentioned to the installer that I have removed the cylinder and some of the copper pipes from the old system... he seemed horiffied... as if he was desperate to have it.. I know it has some value.. maybe 70quid... But im starting to think hes not all that professional and I dont want him making a quick quid from my boiler if you catch my drift!?!
Is there a way I can check hes corgi without asking him again?

lastly, Can I still use my old gas fire after the old back boiler has gone?
Thanks!

ask to see his Corgi card so you can make a note of the details.

If he says "I've left it in the van, you don't want me to go out there in the rain do you?" say yes, and see if he ever comes back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back