Baxi Bahama 100 - Pressure and Noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a house with an old Bahama 100 boiler that was installed in 1999. I don't know a lot about boilers but I got a little concerned that when the CH is off, the pressure is zero. I have continued to operate the central heating and the pressure when operating is fine.

I have recently decided to bleed the radiators and since then there have been loud whining noises from the boiler on start up. As the pressure needle approaches the green band the noise starts. It's a high pitch whining/shrieking, as though someone has taken a violin bow to the copper pipes or a wine glass. This lasts for a minute or two and then when the pressure reaches about 1 psi it falls off. The CH then operates fine until it's switched on again after cooling.

Sometimes if I play around with the valve on the closest radiator it changes the pitch of the whining and sometimes stops. Also if I reduce the CH temperature dial on the boiler it stops, when I turn it back up again it starts again.

I'm in the dark here. I'm going to have to call a mechanic out but I really don't want the wool pulled over my eyes.

Any offers of advice are welcome if you can!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back