baxi bermuda 551 - firing but not staying lit

i am well aware which tank is which in my loft - the small high one is the radiator tank and the larger one the hot water tank. both are filled to the correct level and both re-fill when water is drawn off. if you think it might help i could drain the radiator system and flush each rad valve through with clean water and re-assemble...?

my work partner's father was a gas man - we are able (and have) performed a drop test once i had re-assembled the boiler. i may not be qualified but i am aware of the implications of my actions.[/quote]

So ypu are saying that when you draw water via a hot water outlet, BOTH tanks lose water?

If your FIL is an ex gasman, he should be able to identify the problem.

Sponsored Links
my work partner's father was a gas man - we are able (and have) performed a drop test once i had re-assembled the boiler. i may not be qualified but i am aware of the implications of my actions.

Whilst obviously a gas leak is one possibility after dismantling the boiler it is not the most dangerous.

Far more dangerous is the possibility of carbon monoxide getting into the room because the flue system is not operating properly.

Back boilers used to be one of the most dangerous types of boilers causing several deaths each year.

I would say that its better to be alive and wearing a pullover to keep warm!

Tony

only the large (hot water tank) level drops when a hot tap is opened.

if i drain the rads (i flushed them all through and re-filled with clean water and fresh inhibitor around 2 years ago) then obviously the small tank level drops.

my issue is not really about keeping warm, the heating is only ever switched on when we have a family visit. i would like some hot water for washing up and bathing.

my work partner's father was the gas man. he is no longer with us. he left my work partner some of his kit, he knows how to perform a drop test. i can't imagine that the flue would have been blocked or compromised by my sweeping and hoovering the heat exchangers and burner box surround, at least i hope not!

i do feel suitably told off for dismantling my boiler, i'll take that on the chin. i know i'm not supposed to. your thoughts and replies are very appreciated however.

Do you not have an electric immersion heater for the hot water?

The efficiency of a BBU is so poor that the cost of electric heating is not a lot more.

Tony

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though the circuit is blocked check for air release valves in the airing cupboard it could just be air locked

there's no immersion heater, this is a very basic system. there's no air release valves either. how could an air lock suddenly occur? the system was working really quite well for months on end before the hot water was only mildly luke warm water a few days ago.

the only way i can think that a blockage would suddenly happen is if a piece of debris (scale / corrosion?) suddenly loosened itself and blocked a pipe somewhere. how can i determine this and then free it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back