Baxi Bermuda back boiler burning smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a baxi bermuda back boiler. in a perfectly working condition. We had it full serviced and the whole system drained in the last summer. In last few days, we smell some burning fumes smell from the boiler. The smell is like wood or tyre is burning. We have a fireplace in front of the back boiler. i removed the front panel underneath the fireplace and looked inside and i can see some BLACK burnt ashes in the form of small pufffs (like burnt coal/wood puffs).

Can someone please tell whats happening? Could this be chimney/flue cleaning issue? Or is something burning from the exchanger? I am going to call CORGI engineer but it would help to know what the problem could be so that we can explain it to the engineer and at the same time we dont get fooled and end up paying £££s just for hoovering the system..

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Wish you all a Happy New year.

Sponsored Links
Turn your boiler off and don't use it untill you get someone out.

Sounds as though the heat exchanger has sooted up and if so very dangerous.

could be numerous problems would recomend not to use till someone has looked at it.rubber smell could be down to cracked burner shooting flames at the side burning the gasket(very unlikely though) or could be somthing totally different.hence you need a good GASSAFE engineer to have a look.

Thanks very much for your quick responses.
I have GAS engineer booked in to come on Wed morning.
Till then we will keep it off as suggested.
But speaking to the Gas Engineer (when i booked appointment) he said its ok to use it as long as we have good ventilation in the room.

Sponsored Links
:eek: id book someone else.having ventilation aint gonna stop a blocked flue from spilling.

Do you have a CO detector?

I wouldn't use it.

Up to you mate, better cold than dead.

I would definitely agree with you.
Better to have cold rather than dead.

We do have a CO detector installed but Birtish Gas.It is flashing green light. So I guess its not a problem. and i believe if there was CO leakage or something serious than it would have alarmed. No?

Thanks for your quick responses and help.

regards

I would definitely agree with you.
Better to have cold rather than dead.

We do have a CO detector installed but Birtish Gas.It is flashing green light. So I guess its not a problem. and i believe if there was CO leakage or something serious than it would have alarmed. No?

Thanks for your quick responses and help.

regards

Yes it would have alarmed if there was a problem,providing it's working ok, still wouldn't use the boiler under any circumstances until it's checked properly.

You can get an enormous build up of CO very very quickly mate, especially with these sorts of weather conditions we're experiencing right now.

Cold temps and no air movement across the flue are ideal conditions for this.

That's the sort of weather we have here in Glasgow at the moment, it's about minus five with no wind.

Thanks mate.

I have taken some photos from the bottom of the fireplace in the front to show what it looks like currently at backside. I turned on boiler to take this photo and now i have turned it off. You can see, on the right hand side of the photos, little pile of black puffs.

please have a look at the album here //www.diynot.com/network/rshah/albums/

Thansk in anticipation.

regards

oh!
I uploaded them on my album here. this is first time i created album on this website so excuse my ignorance about it. i am going to check it now and get back to you.

When i clicked on reply, i clicked on images and it asked me to crete album. So i added a new album and then i uploaded images into that album.

from those pics that appliance is a death trap turn it off for your own safety :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back