Baxi Bermuda Back Boiler Smelling When Central Heating On

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a summer of the boiler working fine heating water etc, have just switched on the central heating for the first time.
The radiators seemed to get warm ok but the top of the surrounding fireplace got very hot and there was a burning smell.
I've turned off the heating immediately and called an engineer who hopefully is coming today but I'm interested to know what the problem could be.
The engineer seemed to think it might be the pump but I'm not so sure as the radiators were coming on.
We'll see what the engineer says but has anyone out there got some suggestions or opinions?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What do you mean the top of the surrounding fireplace got very hot?

If your upstairs rads are hot and downstairs cold then it's definitely the pump , a faulty pump can also still pump water around the system just not as well as it normally would

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Many Thanks!
There's an old style metal fireplace surround. The top metal part of that was getting hot.
All rads were working but agree that the pump could still be faulty.
Aside from the pump, could it be anything else?

Sponsored Links
Boiler will be working a lot harder to heat the rads, so possible this could cause the symptoms you describe, but still a wise idea to get it checked over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back