Baxi Bermuda Boiler Pilot light going off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Baxi Bermuda fire, with CH boiler behind.

This was serviced approx 6 months ago.

A few weeks ago, I noticed there was no hot water, so lit the boiler again. Because the hot water was obviously cold, the boiler started up and everything was fine. About 20 seconds later everything went out.

I tried again, this time turning the hot water button off at the timer. Again the pilot light lit OK, but again after about 20 seconds it went off, with quite a loud click.

After 2 or 3 more attempts, each time the light staying on for less than a minute I gave up.

A few hours later, I tried again and hey presto it stayed on, and has done so until today.

Now again, I can not get the pilot to stay alight.

Sod it !!

I will phone the plumber on Monday, but I am just nosey to know what is wrong.

No doubt if I try again in an hours time, everything will be fine again Grrrrrr !!!

Sponsored Links
get it serviced again, most likly it needs new thermocouple but just incase it some thing else

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies

Was surprised my s o d i t was changed though .. made me laugh !

we had the same intermittent fault on our old baxi back boiler. fitted a new thermocouple, but it idnt sort it, turned out it was the gas valve. not too bad though cos i had one in the van, but theyre a stock honeywell valve and at the time were only about 50 quid.
might be worth checking the pilot light is big enough to heat the thermocouple, if the jet in the pilot circuit has picked up a speck of dust, the pilot might not be man enough to keep the thermocouple locked down. worth checking this bit first, cos its free to look at the size of your pilot light!!!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back