Baxi Bermuda refill issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a DIYer, so please bare with me.

I have a Baxi Bermuda C5W (is C5W just the front?) back boiler, which is a gravity fed system.
I drained down the system to move and replace a couple radiators. When I drained it down, I didn't open all the bled valves (which I guess I should have?) and drained via a ground floor radiator in the hall. I carried out my replacements and went to refill.
I've had a small understanding / did a bit of research, so insured that I bled the radiators ground floor up, furtherest from boiler to closest etc.
Now while I got all the air out of the radiators once I turned on the system only the radiator closest to the boiler was getting hot. Turned off and bled the system again, bled and checked the pump (which is on the return pipework - I'm assuming from some forums I've found this is okay).
I tried to flush through from the two radiators downstairs that I installed drain cocks on.
Anyway, now when trying to fire up the heating the boiler fires up, sounds like a bag of nails and seems to stop working (although no lock out light).
Tried a few things I've read like closing the lockshield and TVR of working rads etc.
I'm trying to work out if this is an airlock or blockage and how I would narrow this down. I did contact a few plumbers in the area but as soon as I mention backboiler they say they can't work on them.

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like there is an airlock,or lack of circulation.
Are all rads full of water ,all venting points used ,including any around hot water cylinder ?

Old back boiler /pump on return - ancient system with gravity circuit t to hot water cylinder ? can you post some pics ? may just need a backfill from a cold mains tap.

Sponsored Links
by sounds of it you have an airlock (usually in return) you could try putting boiler stat up to max see if that shifts it with just hot water on .
pump on return suggests gravity HW pumped CH so put Ch on occasionally whilst doing it to see if it will get it moving

by sounds of it you have an airlock (usually in return) you could try putting boiler stat up to max see if that shifts it with just hot water on .
pump on return suggests gravity HW pumped CH so put Ch on occasionally whilst doing it to see if it will get it moving
Did you not tell the story where a customer saw you do that?
He does the same and killed the boiler

pump on return might be an SMC cadet under the floor ;)

Did you clear all the crud out of the F & E tank before you drained the system? If not its quite possible you have caused a blockage- well worth trying a reverse flush with a hosepipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back