Baxi Bermuda

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me as i seem to have a problem with the above boiler........ The pilot light wont stay lit. I follew the instructions as below

1. Press and hold in the grey push button at the same time pushing in the
igniter button until it clicks.

2. Push the igniter button repeatedly until you see the pilot light flame
through the viewing window.

3. Continue to hold in the grey push button for another 30 seconds,
release slowly and the pilot should stay alight.

But it just goes out and i have tried this repeatedly for two whole hours and getting no where fast please anyone help. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer.

Either your pilot light is partialy blocked or the thermocouple has given up (thats the bit that says the pilot light is lit) check the pilot light first.

I assume your boiler is a baxi 551, 552 or 401 and not one of the newer types.
As breezer says, it will most likely be the thermocouple. I would say you have an 85% chance of it being the thermocouple, 10% chance of it being a restriction to the pilot and a 5% chance of it being the gas valve.
The pilot should be a couple of cm high and nice and blue, although a slightly yellow tip isn't a problem. If the pilot looks good then it's highly likely to be the thermocouple. Either way you need to remove the fire, in which case you need a CORGI registered installer.
BG would charge about £87 call out + parts (thermocouple is about £3, honeywell gas valve about £70), personally I'd charge about £45 to fit a t/c but it depends on your area. Unfortunately CORGI installers are hard to come by if you need one in a hurry due to the high price of CORGI registration every 5 years.
BTW, any universal thermocouple from a Plumb Center would fit but I'm NOT suggesting you do this your self.

Regards, Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back