Baxi pilot light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone , first post so be patient, went on holidays for a few days, came back and the pilot light was out on the boiler (Baxi WM 281 RS model) tried to re-light it by holding the grey knob in on the right while pushing the igniter button on the left, pilot light comes on while holding in the grey button but when you release it the pilot light goes out. I was told it was a defective thermocouple so I just fitted one and it is still the same, keeps a light with the grey button in but goes out when I release it, any advice would be very much appreciated, all the best and kind regards.

Sponsored Links
Just make sure the business end of the thermocouple is properly in the pilot flame,and the other end is tightened properly in the gas valve,if it still doesnt work you are looking at a new gas valve.
Not sure if theres an overheat reset on these,that could stop the pilot establishing,but someone should be along soon to put me right.

Thank you very much Garfield, The one end is definately in the pilot light and the other end is very secure when I re-checked, how available are these gas valves, and what are they like to fit??

Sounds like a Honeywell gas valve,it was fitted to a wide range of boilers so availability will not be a problem,about £70ish.
Strictly speaking,as a gas carrying part,it should be fitted by a Corgi,but tbh,its quite an easy job if you think you are competant enough.Would you know how to test for leakage and check and reset the burner pressure, etc etc after fitting the new valve?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it needs a good service before you go buying expensive parts for it. If it then needs a new gas valve after this, then it will have to be fitted by somebody who knows how to set it up and check it. So you would be well advised to get a corgi fella in.

Thanks guys, I will get an expert in as I know my limits!!!! many thanks to you all, and have a great new year.

Right before buyig gas valves,a competent person will tell you in minutes if it needs either the injector cleaning and servie,overheat stat or gas valve

no "strictly speaking" about it, under NO circumstances should anyone other than a qualified gas engineer go anywhere near changing a gas valve, easy job or not, i do agree it is an easy job but then again i am fully qualified and have been changing them for over 20 years, DIY is perfectly acceptable in a lot of cases, i have fixed bits on my cars over the years but wouldn't dream of doing anything with the brakes etc, advice on what might be involved is fine and exactly what the forum is about but it is very dangerous to encourage someone to do tasks that could end up blowing up and killing people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back