Baxi boiler parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my boiler serviced and the engineer has said the burner, ignition electrode and sensor needs replacing as well as the combustion chamber resealed. There was some white sediment around the edge of the burner and did make a noise on ignition. But he tapped the seals and now there is no noise so does it still need replacing and what caused the white sediment. Is it something to do with the condensate trap?
Also he quoted £224 for the parts and £60 labour and I have found the parts for £152 from mjt controls. Can I fit the burner and reseal the unit myself or do I need a registered engineer. I could get the parts myself and then get a quote from other engineers.
Regards
Steve.

Sponsored Links
Also he quoted £224 for the parts and £60 labour and I have found the parts for £152 from mjt controls. Can I fit the burner and reseal the unit myself or do I need a registered engineer.

tis called TRADE DISCOUNT
no you flaming well can't fit them yersen as you obviously don't know what you are doing :rolleyes:

Flippin heck
Its not that difficult to fit a burner and seals. I am a fitter at work. I meant to ask if I need to be corgi registered.
Anyway, I have asked round at work and they said its OK.

fearny13 said:
Anyway, I have asked round at work and they said its OK.

and what do they at work know about being corgi registered and GAS?

"THEY" aren't a bunch of people in a wood are they?

And what are "they" going to say when / if you get killed by carbon monoxide becuse you fitted it wrong?

CORGI people do this type of thing for a living, you don't

Sponsored Links
If it's so easy why did you need a guy to come out to service your boiler and tell you what was wrong with it.
"I'm a fitter at work".....Fitter = plumber with brains removed.

The Corgi guy should be insured so if any thing goes wrong you can claim if you do it no cover no claim.
The issue here is your safety not us corgi guy taking you for a ride, unfortunatly it's the law and we (the RGI's) have to follow it ( at great expence) to make sure you're safe at home.

fearny13 said:
Also he quoted £224 for the parts and £60 labour and I have found the parts for £152 from mjt controls. Can I fit the burner and reseal the unit myself or do I need a registered engineer. I could get the parts myself and then get a quote from other engineers.
Regards
Steve.

Probably, but expect the labour cost to rise from 60 to about 132. Can you fit the burner and reseal?, who knows...legally if its yours yes you can, but if you are asking if you are competent to do it then we can't tell you, to be honest we don't even know what boiler it is to advise. I personally would want to be pretty confident I was capable of completing the job 100% safely before I potentially put my household at risk for the sake of 130 quid.

8) Might of been nice if you told us what boiler, they all have different characteristics.
For example you may have a glowworm 30cxi in which case I would say throw it away as its going to break your heart. On the other hand you may have something else which is worth repairing and I`m sure we will tell you something different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back