Baxi boiler pressure too high and now too low to operate. How to pressurise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We just moved in to this house with a baxi combi boiler. Initially the pressure bar showed the highest level (just below max of 4). Having no prior experience with boiler issues I just ignored it. After a couple of days the boiler stopped working which I believe is due to very low pressure (0.2) bar. I bought and tried a flexible filling loop (using manufacturer part number) but each time I remove the loop the water gushes out of boiler pipe. Here's how I did it;

I closed the valves, then removed the end caps, then connected the filling loop, opened the valves, got to the desired pressure of 1.5 bar, closed both the valves, detached the cold water end of the loop without any problem but as soon as I detached the end from heating return (pipe on the right, attachment 1) all the water gushed out until the bar got back to the same old position and leaving everything around me pretty wet. I can't figure out what am I doing wrong here. Am I supposed to open the heat return valve before removing the loop from this end?

Secondly, the fact that the bar had previously reached max level does it indicate a more serious problem?

I have also spotted a little bit of leakage under the valve on the side of one of the radiators. Please see attachment 2. Not sure how much role would it have in lowering the pressure.

All suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4866.JPG
    IMG_4866.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 7,184
  • IMG_4867.JPG
    IMG_4867.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 663
Sponsored Links
Did the boiler come with a service record? Is the property yours? The rad valve leaking will give a pressure loss.

We just bought this property. There's no service history unfortunately. I'm just surprised by the force the water came out when I removed the filling loop.

Thanks for your reply. The radiator has definitely not lost as much water as I witnessed when the pressure dropped from 1.5 to 0.2. Do you think that little loss of water from radiator could have suddenly brought down the pressure from height of almost 3.8 within a couple of days? Sorry I'm totally new to this stuff and can't really relate the issues.

What model of baxi is it? I'd be getting a safety and service check performed on it if I was you. The pressure should not have risen above 3bar as at that point the PRV Blow off valve should have activated, if it didn't and gauge is correct then it has an issue with a key safety feature. Get it serviced, that way you can be sure it's all ok. A small leak on a valve can drop all the pressure from a boiler in a couple of days quite easily, again get the RGI to check it.

Sponsored Links
I think it is 80HE (not too sure about HE bit). Well our new energy provider has offered a free boiler service but they won't be in until the end of next week. I've called in an engineer tomorrow will share it here once I find out about the issue. Thanks for your help.

Its no good just putting the braided hose where those caps are. The filling loop should have had two valves on (one a non return). Fill then close the two valves. You can get intergrated filling loops for that boiler model.

Or....possibly be an existing filling loop maybe in the cupboard below boiler? Doubt they've been filling it like that the whole time...
The pipe on the far right hand side (22mm) has a tee off it to 15mm which will possibly have the filling loop attached

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back