Valliant ecotec F22: Water comes from screw in filling loop

31 Jul 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have a Valliant ecotec boiler which is occasionally showing fault F22. The pressure is very low on the gauge. Clearly the boiler needs re-pressurising.

The filling loop consists of a pipe covered in what looks like a silver braid. There are valves opened by flathead screws at both ends.

One side of the filling loop enters into the boiler on a pipe marked CH return. At the other side of the filling loop there is a 3rd valve (again opened by a flathead crew) which then enters into the boiler (either cylinder return or cold water main). There are two more pipes which T in, one between the values, the other on the boiler side. Here is a diagram.
| Valliant ecotec |
| boiler |
| |
CH | |cylinder return or cold water main
return| |
| +--------------- Unknown
| |
| [(-)] Valve 3
| |
| +-------------- Unknown
| |
Valve 1 [(-)] [(-)] Valve 2 (water gushes from here)
| |
| |
filling loop[/code:1]

I tried to re-pressurise the boiler by opening combinations of these values. When I try to open the valve marked (2), water started to gush out from around the side of the screw. The water stopped when I turned the screw back to the original position. I could not hear water entering the boiler system. The pressure on the pressure gauge did not rise.

I'm not sure which valve (or valves) I need to open or how these screw valves operate. Does anyone know if the valves are anti-clockwise to open and clockwise to close? Is the closed position when they cannot be turned any further in the clockwise direction? Does anyone know where there is a diagram showing the usual connections to the boiler and filling loop.

Any help very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
A photo would have been more helpful, Im guessing you have ballafix connections from what you have explained and when you turn valve screw head as per your diagram water spurts out from around the screw, this is because the seal has gone in the valve.
There should be a check valve at the c/h inlet which will make it easy to turn off the mains and change the filler loop
Put a photo up and can give you a step by step answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links