Baxi Boiler Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Baxi 85 Boiler which is just over 18 months old. Yesterday I called a local engineer to come round to give it a routine service. He spent about an hour or so checking the boiler and the upstairs radiators and gave us a clean bill of health. He even commented on how clean the system was and he said that in his opinion, the boiler was in excellent perfect working order.

Anyway, last night when I jumped in the shower I noticed I couldn't get any hot water so I went to look at the boiler.
Both the flame indicator light and the 30degree temperature lights were flashing and the pressure gauge was all the way down to zero.

So I increased the pressure to about 1.5 bar using the feed taps underneath the boiler and everything seemed okay again.
This morning however, the pressure was way back down to just above the zero mark so I called the engineer back out to find out what the problem was. He was dumbfounded and said he really couldn't figure out why it was causing me the problem.

He said that the Pressure Relief Valve might be sticking open but that was unlikely because of how clean the system is. So he gave it a "flick" to test it and has told me to keep a close eye on how things go.
He also got out a foot pump to increase the pressure in the compression chamber which he said was a little bit low.

We have a small 2 bedroomed house with 2 upstairs radiators and 4 downstairs radiators and he did mention that the boiler did appear to be running at a slightly high pressure which seemed a little odd because the house is so small.

Anyway, I've been asked to keep a close eye on the gauge and I've been told that if the pressure keeps dropping then I should "flick" open the pressure release valve to release it (in case it is sticking). He reckins the cost of a new prv is about £3 with half an hours labour.

He has also told me that if the pressure constantly increases then I should give him a call back and he will then need to investigate the cause of the underlying problem.

So I was just wondering if any of plumber types on here might have a clue as to what might be causing my boiler problems? Any Baxi experts out there? ;)

Sponsored Links
Everything he has told you is fine and he clearly understands the working of the boiler.

I expect that the PRV did leak slightly after his visit. That does sometimes happen.

You can see if its that by putting a bag or bottle over the vent pipe which may discharge outside behind the boiler.

Tony

Never heard of a Baxi 85 (Not in the last 18 months anyway)

So I'm no expert!

Sponsored Links
baxpoti said:
Never heard of a Baxi 85 (Not in the last 18 months anyway)

So I'm no expert!

Probably just me mate. I think he referred to it as an 85 but I think it's a 105 or somthing like that. I'll have to check the model when I get home. They all look the same to me :p
It was fitted brand new about 18months ago

Just looked up the very same boiler for sale on the tinternet and I can confirm it is a BAXI COMBI BOILER 105HE ;)

Eithier a 80 or a 105? instant? HE or e?

Pressure loss.. possibly exp vessel problem

Ign failure possibly.. condense trap (if its an HE)

Check the condense outlet (white plastic pipe) is it dripping constantly?

baxpoti said:
Check the condense outlet (white plastic pipe) is it dripping constantly?

Do you mean the outlet pipe which the pvr throws water out into the back yard?

It didn't appear to be leaking when I checked earlier but the engineer did say that it has leaked at some point over the last 24hrs or so. He said it may have released water at some point if the pressure reached 3 bar or above.

Another thing he did mention was that the pipe from the boiler to the radiators was very hot to the touch yet the pipe back into the boiler was only warm which he said he didn't quite understand.
He said the temperature difference should only be slight and the water should be almost as hot as it returned back to the boiler from the radiators.

There is another white plastic pipe on the inside of the house but to be honest everything appears to be bone dry inside.

Please bear with me if the above doesn't make sense.
Im no plumber but Im trying pick up knowhow as I go along ;)

baxpoti said:
Eithier a 80 or a 105? instant? HE or e?

Pressure loss.. possibly exp vessel problem

Ign failure possibly.. condense trap (if its an HE)

Im almost certain it is a Baxi 105HE Condensing Combi Boiler (Sealed System).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back