boiler losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved, the house has a 10 month old Baxi Main 24 HE combi boiler and 9 radiators.

The boiler has problems with pressure. Whenever I switch the CH on, it loses pressure right down to zero and locks out. I top it up but have to do this almost every day. Sometimes it does this even when the CH is off.

I tried to bleed the radiators:
3 of them are ok.
2 I can’t reach as they’re encased in wooden boxes.
1 I cannot bleed as it’s too stiff.
3 I can open valve, but nothing comes out, no air, no water.

As the boiler is still under guarantee, I called a Baxi engineer, who said the boiler’s absolutely fine and the problem is elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Marina

Sponsored Links
My best guess would be the expansion vessel is depleted and the PRV is now leaking.

Call heateam back and get them to check the EV if they hav'nt already done so.

Cheers

He was about as usefull as an ashtray on a motorbike!
You oviously know how to top up your system. You either have a leak,the pressure relief valve is discharging(pipe goes outside) or the expansion vessel has failed in some way(either lost charge or mechanically failed).You must be able to bleed ALL rads and if you find this too difficult then call in a decent heating engineer who should be able to fix this fault.Is this a rented property? If so call your landlord as the boiler is still under warranty and messing with it could invalidate cover.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your answers.

The house is not rented, unfortunately. We just bought it, so the buck stops with us :cry:

The engineer from Heateam checked for leaks outside - I did this too when I found out what the little copper pipe outside was for :) , but no leak there. Will have to call him again to check the EV.

btw, the wooden boxes enclosing 2 rads have been cemented to the wall!!!

So if it is a leak, how do I find out where it is and more importantly, how do I fix it? I will need to call out a different plumber for this job, as it’s not connected to Baxi, am I right?

Thanks again

Marina

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back