Baxi Boiler slowly losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a Baxi HE133 Combi Condensing boiler which is slowly losing pressure.

1. Do all boilers gradually lose some pressure naturally or does there have to be a reason, i.e. a leak?

2. Does it do any harm to 'top-up' (re-pressurise) the boiler every few weeks?

3. If there is a leak it is obviously small - can you put something into the system which would stop the leak in the way that you can do with a car radiator which has a leak?

Very many thanks for any advide offered.

Sponsored Links
1/ Probably not the boiler but the rest of the system.

2/ If it needs represurising up it has to be done.

3/ Fernox do one.

Thanks very much, Paul. Would you be kind enough just to clarify if it is fairly normal for the system to lose a bit of pressure?

Very many thanks.

depends on age of system condition of valves and whether any pressure relief valve or expansion vessel problems.

I tell people to check pressure weekly then monthly depending on findings.

Sponsored Links
celtic said:
Thanks very much, Paul. Would you be kind enough just to clarify if it is fairly normal for the system to lose a bit of pressure?
IMHO, it isn't normal, which isn't to say that I don't come across it all the time :eek:

The thing is, if you're having to add water, then you're losing water, and if you're losing water, then you're losing (and diluting) whatever inhibitor you had in the system, and if you're doing that, then the system will age more quickly.

Agreed, just answering generically since the guy has told us absolutely nothing about the installation.

It hasn't been proved whether inhibitor is a plus or a minus to a system. As long as the flux is flushed out and the acidic cleanser has been neutralised, and the ph of the system remains neutral I would be perfectly happy. In a cast iron boiler a slightly acidic ph is recommended.

Paul Barker said:
Agreed, just answering generically since the guy has told us absolutely nothing about the installation.
Fair play Paul.

Paul Barker said:
It hasn't been proved whether inhibitor is a plus or a minus to a system. As long as the flux is flushed out and the acidic cleanser has been neutralised, and the ph of the system remains neutral I would be perfectly happy. In a cast iron boiler a slightly acidic ph is recommended.
Hm, I'm trying to keep open-minded about this, not least because you seem so sure that there is no proof. However, although my 'O' level chemistry is rusty now (no pun intended), I was previously (before today) sure that radiators turn into Magnetite as a result of the electrolytic reaction when copper, iron, and impure water are all in close proximity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back